Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 20:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA or not?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

MBA or not? [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2010, 08:16
I am 26 with 4 years of work experience. However I have spent my last 2 year starting an Internet startup, which is not venture capital funded and not successful at all. I have been thinking on ending the startup and work full time again. However, given my profile I think it's pretty hard to get the job I wanted, a job at a recongized consulting firm. So I think doing a MBA may help me get a fresh start on my career.

Yet I think it may be very hard for me to get into a Top MBA program given I only have 2 year working experience. I have spent half year working as an IBM sales trainee, and around 1.5 as a IBM strategy & change consultant. The most important thing is I have already lost contact with my previous bosses at IBM, it is quite awkward for me to ask them to write a reference letter. I think they liked me as they said they would offer me to return to IBM if my startup failed. (I don't want to return as a loser anyway!)

I guess I can achieve a GMAT score around 700-740. Actually I am even more interested in doing a PhD in business than doing a MBA, but given my research experience I know no PhD program will accept me so I probably will have to do a MBA/Master first anyway.

If you were me, will you suggest me to work for a few years, or apply to MBA right away?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA or not?   [#permalink] 25 Jul 2010, 08:16