Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 18:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA School advise

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

MBA School advise [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 03:31
Hello Alex,

Thanks so much for the great service. Could you help me a bit?

Profile:
- 31 YR / MALE / Middle Eastern mix.
- Undergrad GPA: 3.1 (TOP Engineering School in US)
- GMAT: 700 (Q47, V 40, AWA 5.0)
- Experience: 2 years Telecom Engineering, 4.5 yrs Energy Engineering, 1.5 Energy Management. Total 8 years.
- Misc: Very good recommendations. Experience working in / living in North America, Asia, Europe and Africa. (Extensively). Avergae Extra Curric. in undergrad, Little afterward.

I am looking to get a finance/strategy background to help progress my career in the energy sector. I have already applied to HBS, Haas, Stern and Marshall for Fall 2010 in R2. I would like to apply to 2 more schools in R3. Advise needed. I was considering either Johnson or Kellogg in the US and either LBS or IE Business School (in case I cannot get me US visa or get no admission in the US).

Q1) Could you tell me if I have picked realistic schools given my profile?
Q2) Can you tell me if it is better to apply to Cornell or Northwestern? I have studied the difference and would be happy in either school, but I would like to know if you have any idea of which is a 'safer' application (i.e. easier to gain admission at this point of the admission cycle). What do you think of my choices of LBS and IE? Since this is my backup, can you recommend any other school that would suit this purpose better?

Thanks for any advise. I understand that applying to an MBA prog. is a personal decision, but would like your suggestions based on my profile and concern.

Regards,

ARIL.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA School advise [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 16:39
Sit tight.

I don't think you need to apply for R3 schools because you should have a respectable shot at getting into one of the schools you already applied to, and also because your chances in R3 are going to be a stretch at best, and slim to none at worst. By the end of 2 rounds, the majority of the spots will have been filled, on top of some extremely qualified waitlist candidates - so the adcom can be very selective in R3.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: MBA School advise   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2010, 16:39