Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 12:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Memory retention problem

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Memory retention problem [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2008, 17:31
In my first attempt, I got 480. Now I am trying again. But I have a typical problem. I cannot retain things in my brains. When I prepare for Verbal, I forget basics of quant. and when I prepare for quant., I forget my basics for verbal. I dont know if I have developed a mental stumbling block but something is drastically wrong with my preapration.

Please suggest how should I prepare.

Thanks.

Regards,

Rocky

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Memory retention problem [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2008, 19:54
I think it has more to do with mindset. If you think you will forget quant while studying verbal then you will. I would advise you to change your mindset and think that you do not have this problem. Also make few notes and make sure you read them daily at least once. You will definitely remember. It's not that difficult but the effort has to be put from your side to change the things.

No Guts, No Glory

SVP
SVP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Memory retention problem [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2008, 11:02
I think it all depends on how you were preparing in the first place. As a begginer, I don't think it's a good idea to learn a lot in one day. Otherwise, you're more likely to forget things. I would recommend that you learn things slowly, allowing your mind to digest things slowly. Any normal person can get intimidated when the amount of information to be learnt is huge. Only once you've broken down what you need to learn to smaller pieces and have managed to learn the basics slowly until it becomes your second nature do you take things to the next level. Even when you eat, you wanna take small bites at a time, otherwise, you could potentially kill yourself. So learning is no different. How long have you been preparing? and how have you been preparing?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Memory retention problem [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2008, 13:21
Try using flash cards. Make notes (usually key points or formula) and keep going through them when ever you get time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tepper '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Memory retention problem [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2008, 14:23
Sounds like you are trying to memorize stuff without understanding what it means. for example, nCk vs, nPk, do you know why one resulting number is much, much larger than the other?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Memory retention problem [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2008, 19:50
Yeah, Did you recognize me .... I am in same boat ( labbeled forgetting) with you for the Gmat journey. :beer

I don't think it is possible to remember everything. It will come across your mind automatically. Unless your plan GMAT in 3-4 weeks you can relax. But make a blog and
put all your imptant points in it. Take a printout and go through it every day 4-5 times. While
going to officee, while sipping coffee, etc .....

Remember don't make your note very exauhstive. Just note down, bare points with small/smart examples.

I a couple of days it will be with you. Just relax.
Re: Memory retention problem   [#permalink] 13 Mar 2008, 19:50