Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 13:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MFin query...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.98
WE: Account Management (Advertising and PR)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

MFin query... [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2013, 00:14
Hi

I graduated form the indian institute of technology , Kanpur 3 years back with a gpa of 9.2/10 , majoring in civil engineering. I have since been working in a top oil field services company. I also took a Bsc Economics degree for the University of London International programme as an external student at LSE while working. I graduated with first class honours . I now wish to switch over to commodity(energy) trading and wish to apply to MFin at MIT and Msc Finance at LSE for the same reason.

I recently took GMAT and got a score of 790.
Could you please tell me if stand a chance of getting accepted in either of the programmes .Also could you suggest some other programmes that might help me make the career switch. Further more a 9.2/10 may not seem much on scale of 4 (3.68) but the grading policy at IITs is rather harsh and a graduating GPA of 9+ means that you'd be in at least the top 5 in your class. Are the adcoms at top universities aware of this???
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: MFin query... [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2013, 07:35
Expert's post
Adcoms are very familiar with the GPA conversion, and do indeed look at class rank. You actually have a rather ideal profile for MSF programs, since they highly value good scores on the GMAT and high class rank. Even more than MBA programs, because of the academic tradition of MS programs, you would be well suited to impress these schools in your application. Not sure if you'd want to put the time in, but if I were you, with those qualifications, I would consider a PhD/MS program, where you could take 2-3 extra years and come out with the MS and the Doctor's degree. The upshot is, if you are accepted to a top school for the PhD, you will get paid an annual stipend instead of having to pay tuition. Recognizing you have a clear vision for what you want to do in your career, this may not be attractive, but certainly an option.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews