Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 16:43

Starting Soon!

Live Q&A Session with HKU Admissions Team | Join the chat room to participate.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MIT Reco

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

MIT Reco [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2004, 07:28
In MIT reco, there is one point which says

Which of the applicant's personal or professional characteristics would you change?

My question there is an essay with the same topic that I have to write, and as mentioned in your book the Reco should give something different than the essays, which means that recommender should give some other example other than the one I will be giving in the essay.

My concern is can I convey this thing to the recommender, or will it be fine to give same instances in Essay as well as in Reco??

Also, as such MIT has not mentioned the word limit for Reco, but is there any limit that you would recommend here!!
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2004, 13:02
The message we were trying to get across in the book is that you don't want your essays and recommendations to be completely redundant. It is nice however, if they convey some of the same messages. This allows the recommendation to corroborate what you have said in your essays.

In this specific case, I would not be concerned if there was some overlap. Indeed the admissions committee might be a bit suspicious if the essay and recommendation sound exactly the same.

With regard to the word limit question... I wouldn't worry about a limit (I don't know of any application that places limits on recommendations). In general a good recommendation answers each of the specific questions in 1 - 4 paragraphs and also includes a letter (1 - 3 pages) that is addressed to the adcomm.

An example of this structure is included in your book.

http://www.mbagameplan.com

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2004, 04:40
Thanks for the response!

I have few more concerns regarding MIT Reco:

For Q: How long and in what capacity have you known the applicant?
Should recommender answer this question straight to the point (I know him from past 3 years, I was his Project Manager) Or should recommender give some more details!!

For Q: State Applicants Personal and Professional Weakness?
Should recommender dwell on this one! I mean to what level of detail should recommender provide here.
Also, How many weakness should recommender specify here for each personal and professional area?

Would appreciate your response!

Thanks and Regards.
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2004, 14:39
Quote:
For Q: How long and in what capacity have you known the applicant?
Should recommender answer this question straight to the point (I know him from past 3 years, I was his Project Manager) Or should recommender give some more details!!

For Q: State Applicants Personal and Professional Weakness?
Should recommender dwell on this one! I mean to what level of detail should recommender provide here.
Also, How many weakness should recommender specify here for each personal and professional area?

Well there are no secret formulas, but here are my thoughts:
For the first question the ad comm are trying to make sure that the recommender is qualified to evaluate you. Someone who's worked with you a couple months or hasn't really worked with you at all wouldn't be qualified, for example. As such the recommender can be straight forward... He/she should let the adcomm know the duration of the working relationship, how they observed you work and why they are qualified to write the recommendation.

You definitely don't want the recommender to dwell too long on this. It's probably best if they just discuss one. The best type of response would have a relatively short paragraph on the weakness and another paragraph about how you're trying to target that weakness (could even discuss implications for how business school could help you target the weakness.)

http://www.mbagameplan.com