Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 04:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Movers

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Movers [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 15:03
I recall reading some posts about movers people had found/used. Unfortunately, I was unable to find them.

I was wondering if you guys could suggest what movers/websites you had used/plan to use.

It might help to sticky this thread for a couple of weeks while everyone investigates their moving options.

FYI I am planning on moving from Stamford to Evanston around August 17th. Anyone else planning on moving from the tri-state area? I'm not sure but I'm guessing we might be able to get something cheaper if we hire movers to move a bunch of our stuff. I am also contemplating maybe getting a U-Haul (depending on how expensive movers are), so if someone wants to get together and split the U-Haul, I might be up for that too.
VP
VP
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 17

Re: Movers [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 16:46
A bunch of NYC area Kellogg admits are using Key Movers (http://www.keymoving.com), and I think they negotiated a 5% discount if you mention you're part of the Kellogg group. Not sure if they serve Stamford as well. Some of the prices being quoted were $750-800 for 1400 lbs. I plan to use a local company, which is an agent for United/Mayflower. I came across them through http://www.mayflower.com. They quoted me $2000 for 3500 lbs, which ends up being similar to what Key is charging.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth, Class of 2011

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Movers [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 19:11
This is a bit of a headache, but you'll get a listing of national and regional movers. I used Movers.com to get the list of movers (and most of them contact you). You end up with quotes and then look them up at the Better Business Bureau and make sure that they are accredited.

I'm moving SF Bay Area to Chicago, and got quoted $1400/3000lbs, with free elevators, months storage, etc.

Things to keep in mind:

storage fee
storage handling fee (if they have to put your items into storage)
Shuttle fee - if they have to rent a smaller vehicle to transport your items (this is likely in downtown Chicago, but probably not in Evanston)
Elevator fee
Stairs fee
Long distance haul fee
Packing fee

It's annoying, but make sure you get all of the fees penned into the contract (in particular if the fees are zero dollars) so you don't get taken for a ride.

Good luck!
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Movers [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2009, 11:25
Thanks guys!! After going to Movers.com and getting quotes, it looks like it will be almost the exact same price to have my stuff moved as it would to move it myself via U-Haul!!! Then I can just fly to Evanston instead of having to drive in a big truck. Awesome.
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth, Class of 2011

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Movers [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2009, 19:51
Yeah, I was pretty surprised that the cash comes out to be very near a wash. The nice part about the movers is that they'll store the items for a fair amount of time. So I'm basically going to do a road trip from SF to Chicago over the course of 2 months, so I can live rent free, etc. for that time and not have to worry about the storage details.

In doing so, however, just make sure to look into appropriate moving storage (about $200-250 for $20K in goods).
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Movers [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2009, 17:36
I received a quote of $2200 for 3,000 lbs. from California to Chicago. We're debating whether to have them pack up for us, too. I would normally do it myself and save $700, but I worry about my, er, unprofessional packing methods keeping our items safe during the long drive.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 2

Re: Movers [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2009, 03:09
MeddlingKid wrote:
I received a quote of $2200 for 3,000 lbs. from California to Chicago. We're debating whether to have them pack up for us, too. I would normally do it myself and save $700, but I worry about my, er, unprofessional packing methods keeping our items safe during the long drive.

That's really not much of a big deal unless you really go a terrible packing job. If you have enough time, picking up some bubble wrap and wrapping paper at a store such as u-haul will definitely be much cheaper than having your movers do the packing.
Re: Movers   [#permalink] 16 Jun 2009, 03:09