Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 20:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MSA vs MSF

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

MSA vs MSF [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2010, 16:14
Background: Currently on track to graduate in 2011 with a B.S. in accounting and a minor in finance from a third tier state school which is AACSB accredited. Cumulative GPA 3.94, Major GPA: 4.0. I have two internships in accounting, one being at a midsized public firm which I’ve been working at since last semester. Prepping for the GMAT now so I can take it in the summer (I need some work, heh).

I’d like some opinions on my career path and more importantly MSA vs MSF.

I feel well informed about the public accounting industry; I’ve been researching it since freshman year. My decision to choose accounting was primarily due to attending a third tier university. I understood that an accounting degree would be more valuable than a finance degree from a third tier.

That being said, I’m much more interested in the finance industry than audit or tax at Big 4. Would it be prudent to apply for an MSF in this case and try to jump into a financial analyst position? I would think an accounting undergrad would be just as good as a finance undergrad for an MSF. Later down the road I’d go for a CFA.

Alternatively, I could go the ‘safe’ route and apply for a MSA which would lead me to Big 4 recruiting and a CPA. Maybe down the line make the jump from accounting to finance through an MBA.

I don’t want to be kicking myself 10 years down the line unhappy and unengaged in my career!

(1) So in short, should I take the ‘risk’ and apply for a MSF? Or stay with the more conservative MSA, CPA route?

(2) What are my options right out of MSF with no experience (entry level)? The finance industry seems so vast to me that it's difficult to actually pinpoint what area is the best fit.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MSA vs MSF [#permalink] New post 31 May 2010, 11:24
Looks like I'll be applying to both MSA & MSF schools.. Where I get admitted will be the deciding factor in which path I choose! I just have to take this GMAT down :twisted:
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: MSA vs MSF [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2010, 12:13
I think you should go with what you find more interested. Like you said, you don't want to be looking back in 10 years with regret. Just my opinion though...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: MSA vs MSF [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2010, 12:15
Here is a link that might help with your 2nd question, despite being somewhat generic:

http://www.careers-in-finance.com/
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: MSA vs MSF [#permalink] New post 03 May 2011, 14:10
You've hit the nail on the head perfectly. It depends on what certification you want. MSF is basically all the coursework you need to get to L1 and parts of L2. MSA will get to you to CPA level proficiency for almost all 4 parts. Career-wise the outcome would differ too obviously.

The choice is yours....

= = = = = = = = = =

If you liked my post, please consider a Kudos for me. Thanks!

Re: MSA vs MSF   [#permalink] 03 May 2011, 14:10