Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 13:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MSF Program

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

MSF Program [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2011, 04:10
Things to know before I start:

-I am an undergraduate student in GUST University in Kuwait.
-Majoring in finance
-graduating in June 2011
-Not worried about the funding
-GPA about 3.35
-GMAT 540 (Scaled Scores were:39 Quantitative, 25 Verbal)
-Would like to start the program in Jan 2012.
-Have taken an internship course that lasted 6weeks in an investment company.
-Will pursue a PhD in Finance after it.

The biggest problem I am facing is that my university is not yet accredited by the AACSB, they have mentioned before that they are working on getting it, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

The second problem as you can see is that my GPA and GMAT are not so good. Now this was my first GMAT try and I really haven't studied much for it, so I know that I can do much better next time.

Obviously, I am not expecting a top notch MSF program, but -and excuse my use of words- 'a stepping stone' to a top notch Finance PhD program, so basically a university that is under the radar of the top notch universities offering PhD in Finance, I do know that there isn't a university that guarantees that.

On another note, my university is looking to start MSF and MSA program with affiliation with FIU, but it's gonna take awhile and I am not going to wait or risk them not getting the accreditation yet. So for the time being they have an unofficial association with FIU, and they told me that they could help me get in FIU especially since I already pass FIU's requirements, so how good is FIU in the eye's of the top notch PhD in Finance programs. And more importantly how is their MSF program?

Thanks in advance.

P.S: IF POSSIBLE I hope that any answers would be associated with some links, so I can have something more to work with
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: MSF Program [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2011, 14:45
Q8Finance wrote:
Things to know before I start:

-I am an undergraduate student in GUST University in Kuwait.
-Majoring in finance
-graduating in June 2011
-Not worried about the funding
-GPA about 3.35
-GMAT 540 (Scaled Scores were:39 Quantitative, 25 Verbal)
-Would like to start the program in Jan 2012.
-Have taken an internship course that lasted 6weeks in an investment company.
-Will pursue a PhD in Finance after it.

The biggest problem I am facing is that my university is not yet accredited by the AACSB, they have mentioned before that they are working on getting it, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

The second problem as you can see is that my GPA and GMAT are not so good. Now this was my first GMAT try and I really haven't studied much for it, so I know that I can do much better next time.

Obviously, I am not expecting a top notch MSF program, but -and excuse my use of words- 'a stepping stone' to a top notch Finance PhD program, so basically a university that is under the radar of the top notch universities offering PhD in Finance, I do know that there isn't a university that guarantees that.

On another note, my university is looking to start MSF and MSA program with affiliation with FIU, but it's gonna take awhile and I am not going to wait or risk them not getting the accreditation yet. So for the time being they have an unofficial association with FIU, and they told me that they could help me get in FIU especially since I already pass FIU's requirements, so how good is FIU in the eye's of the top notch PhD in Finance programs. And more importantly how is their MSF program?

Thanks in advance.

P.S: IF POSSIBLE I hope that any answers would be associated with some links, so I can have something more to work with

FIU is not very well known. You really need to get your GMAT up, your grades are okay if you have a strong GMAT.

You mean GUST is not AACSB accredited (not the graduate program you're trying to attend)? I don't think that will matter unless your university is a diploma mill. Is it accredited by legit governing bodies in your country/region/world? That should be fine.
Intern
Intern

Re: MSF Program [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2011, 19:24
Yes, GUST is not AACSB accredited, what do u mean by (diploma mill)? U mean it's not a bachelor degree? Well if that's what u r asking then it is a bachelor degree.
The university is accredited by the ministry of higher education in Kuwait.
Also as an international student i am not really looking for placement.
And thx for the reply :)
Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 71

GMAT Tests User
Re: MSF Program [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 06:46
this is going to sound dumb but what is the AACSB and why is it so important to be accreditted?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: MSF Program [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2011, 18:23
It's like an organization that gives accreditations to all business schools, for a university in the US how would they know if the university the is is following the business requirement standards? So basically this organization gives accreditation to universities following their standards. Which tells the grad school that the person applying has taken the require courses in the right way.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: MSF Program [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2011, 08:31
But most MSF programs don't even have prerequisite courses one had to have taken in undergrad
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kelley,Tepper,Carlson,Kenan Flager,Broad
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: MSF Program [#permalink] New post 15 May 2011, 06:53
Hi, Are you thinking of giving GMAT again?

My dad once said to me: Son, nothing succeeds like success.

Intern
Intern

Re: MSF Program [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 08:12
yes I am, I am positive that I can get a much much higher grade. Since I went to test with almost no preparation.
Re: MSF Program   [#permalink] 16 May 2011, 08:12