Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 18:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My Background. Any Suggestions?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

My Background. Any Suggestions? [#permalink] New post 05 May 2005, 08:31
Hi. This is my first message on this board, so forgive me if this is not a customary question.
I am applying to Kellogg, Chicago, Stanford, and Michigan (all full-time). I want to what everyone's thoughts on me getting into these fine institutions and any suggestions to help. I graduated from a top 25 undergraduate institution in 2000 and majored in a labor intensive science (biochemisty). I also was heavily involved with many on campus organizations, including being part of general board of the largest student run organization. I was also involoved with theatre; performing and directing in the student comedy improv troupe and perfoming in many films. I also headed a comedy production company that had about $50,000 budget. I was invloved in many other things, but needless to say my grades suffered because my plate was too full. (I got about 2.9-3.0 in the end). Since I graduated, I have been working with a Fortune 500 health care firm in Chicago (Abbott Labs) and have done very well. Moving up the ladder and gaining good recognition and getting good experience. However, I want to change careers and take over/work for my father's private equity business. In my working years (2000-present) I have done lots of stuff, which included running a marathon, performing Improv Comedy with Second City, and volunteering with various organizations. I also took three business classes at DePaul and got the highest grade in all three classes. I took these for 2 reasons: 1. to see if I like the subject matter because I did not take any of these classes in my undergradute years. 2. and to show that I can perform and to try and enhance my undergraduate GPA.
When I apply this fall, I am most fearful that my undergraduate GPA will totally negate my chances of getting in and that it is not indicative of my true performance (I wasn't even a big partier in college). I am taking the GMAT at the end of this month and have taken a prep class and am shooting for a 700. That score should be attainable. I am curious of people thoughts and what you guys think my chances are getting into the said MBA programs. Any thoughts or advice to help my chances would be appreciated. Thanks.

Christopher Wilson

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 May 2005, 13:27
Chris,

A solid GMAT score can offset a "lower end of the range" GPA. There are also other ways to offset a low GPA, but doing well on the GMAT and taking course work in your weak areas is a great start.

You certainly have several experiences to draw upon where you can possibly show your leadership skills. My only advice would be to tell you that assuming you do well on the GMAT, make sure you have great essays that clearly explain your story and your impact as a leader. Also, you may consider using your essays to explain why your GPA is on the lower end of the range. Everyone always wants to know their "chance" but honestly, it's very hard to tell unless you read an entire set of essays and see how the applicant expresses themselves and communicates their story. However, I can say that you have some good stuff to work with experience-wise. Try to do your best on the GMAT and craft awesome essays.

All the best to you...

Attain
info@attain-group.com
http://www.attain-group.com

Helpful MBA Links:
http://www.attain-group.com/content/resources.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Thanks [#permalink] New post 08 May 2005, 06:19
Thanks so much for the advice. It is well appreciated. I will keep everyone updated on my progress.

Christopher Wilson

CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 May 2005, 11:33
The key is to demonstrate how your GPA is not representative of your present academic ability. As others have already stated, you can demonstrate this by writing strong essays and posting a high GMAT score.

Hjort
  [#permalink] 08 May 2005, 11:33