Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 17:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My experience - 108/120

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 367

Kudos [?]: 1856 [4] , given: 359

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
My experience - 108/120 [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2009, 08:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Here I concentrate main ideas that helped me to reach my 108 score. I've never used English in daily communication and it was long journey to 108.

READING.
- Do not read passages!!! They are longer than GMAT passages and you have more than 10 questions per passage. Questions go step by step, from first paragraph to last one. So, the best technique is: read question --> read paragraph --> answer question --> read next paragraph --> next question .... and so on. At the end, you will find two general questions but you have already read whole passage. I think you will fast find weak areas. I recommend to use "Delta's Key to the TOEFL Test" book. You can concentrate only on specific questions. My score: 29/30

LISTENING
- After special courses my score was 15/30. Then, I didn't prepared for listening section. At the same time, I everyday listened to podcasts with my iPod nano (4 months or so). My favorite ones: Voice of America, ELS, Wall Street Journal this morning, Bloomberg, Harvard Ideacast, Duke: speakers... Then I got 29/30 in my final 108 exam (I even got 30/30 in previous attempt).

SPEAKING
My score in all attempts ranges from 19/30 - 22/30. All my intensive preparation have not added something essential. So, no advice. :(

WRITING
- Fast typing. 20-30 mins go very fast....
- A simple structure without mistakes is better than a complex structure with a typo or mistake.
- I had low score in my two attempts. After that, I started to read sample essays from a book (It seemed to be Barron's Toefl essay) and write out all words, expressions and even sentences I liked. It has worked out. My score is 28/30. I've attached my magic collection to the post.

And my last advice: if you have never spoken English, don't underestimate TOEFL, especially speaking section. Majority of my friends had problems namely with speaking.
Attachments

walker's_writing_phrases.xls [38 KiB]
Downloaded 962 times

To download please login or register as a user

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: My experience - 108/120 [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2009, 10:16
hey buddy,
congratulations on ur achievements and also on ur vast improvement in hearing section.i founf ur attachment pretty helpful too.i will be starting my toefl prep soon.

best of luck for ur applications
bye!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: My experience - 108/120 [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2009, 16:06
Hello Walker,

How did u get your scoring in Speaking Section of TOEFL?

I recently retook GMAT and scored 640/75% (Quant- 47/78%, Verbal- 31/58%, AWA- 06/90%). I m shocked now as I m looking for top business schools in USA for MBA. In my first attempt, I scored only 530/42% (Quant- 42/62%, Verbal- 21/22%, AWA- 5.5/76%). Should I apply to Chicago Booth with this GMAT score and background? Is there any real possibility to make my way to Chicago Booth with this background? For more info. I m now in USA as a permanent resident and currently unemployed

My background:
Undergrade: BBA (Major in Accounting)
Experience: 3 yrs in Commercial Bank in my home country
GPA: 3.56
Non- native English speaking country & I think one of the most non-representative country in top USA business schools
Have good community service and little bit entrepreneurial background.

Waiting for your reply
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 367

Kudos [?]: 1856 [0], given: 359

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: My experience - 108/120 [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2009, 09:10
Expert's post
ZZ wrote:
How did u get your scoring in Speaking Section of TOEFL?
.... Should I apply to Chicago Booth with this GMAT score and background? Is there any real possibility to make my way to Chicago Booth with this background?

Hi!

1) Speaking section? As you see I got 19-22 in all my attempts regardless my intensive preparation. So, I tried to speak about topics, nothing special...

2) GMAT 700 + a unique story. Can you impress adcom? By achievements in your professional/community/personal life? Will they say "Wow!" looking at your package? If yes, go ahead and apply.

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: My experience - 108/120 [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2009, 11:39
Dear Walker

Thank u for your prompt reply.

I m still undecided with this shocking GMAT score.

Thanks
Re: My experience - 108/120   [#permalink] 27 Nov 2009, 11:39