Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Apr 2015, 19:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My GMAT Experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

Reviews Badge
My GMAT Experience [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2010, 03:40
This post received
KUDOS
Guys,
I have been a silent observer of the various forums present on this site, but now having given my GMAT would like to share my journey.

I'm an Indian working in the IT services sector with now close to 7 years of workex. I had previously given some mgmt entrance tests in India so had a fair idea of what to expect in GMAT.

I started my preparation 4 months before (My GMAT was on 5th July) but after I started reading OG, i thought I would have already peaked before my GMAT, so I put off studies for 2 months. Before doing so I gave one GMATPrep and got 700.
The greatest worry I had about GMAT was the verbal section, maths I was fairly confident that I would get close to 50. So started my preps with Powerscore CR bible and Manhattan/Princeton Verbal reviews. All of them were of great help. Now as luck would have it, mywork load increased just as my GMAT was nearing so couldn't give as much justice as I should have given to the verbal section.

On the GMAT day I reached the centre close to 1hr before, but the ladies didn't allow me to come inside!!! SO had to wait outside with no chairs for almost 20 mins (There was no waiting area as well at my center). Had practiced only a few essays, so was a bit nervous, but actually with the experience of writing long e-mails in professional life really helped me to get through it.Was able to complete essays with 3-4 mins to spare so that I could fix any last min cosmetic errors. Started on Maths. One observation here is that maths was not difficult, but compared to OG, they just like to make it little convoluted. As I was getting the easier ones correct, I was getting a few hard ones to solve. One more thing, if you are doing good in maths, I believe you will get more DS questions, because they can make the DS more complex than the normal maths questions, again just an observation. So if you are good at maths make sure you do sufficient practice of DS as well and that too try to get some good complex DS questions. I completed my maths section with 3-4 mins to spare and then took an optional break before starting on Verbal.

Here is where I lost my way, abit as mentioned earlier I wasn't sufficiently prepared with the verbal and ended up screwing it. Also this section is definitely more complex than OG. You can rely on OG to get a hang of questions, but to really excel in GMAT you would need to get hold of complex questions wherein at least 2 choices are very close. Many times I did realize during the test that there were 2 options either of which could have been right may be I chose wrongs ones more often than the right ones.
If I had practiced more, may be I could have fared better in verbal and in hindsight I guess I made a mistake of doing nothing for 2 months after I had booked my test.

Finally the 3.5 hours ordeal was over and there were some dumb details to fill in before the scores are revealed. Had mixed feelings when I saw the score. I could have done better, but then again I think it could have been worse. So did not cry and didn't laugh either after seeing the scores.

My final score Q 50 , V 30 690. Got the essay results after few days, it was 5.0

Not sure whether will GMAT give again, or where will apply, but just a note to fellow takers, DON'T GET AWED BY THE EXAM, if you do little hardwork, 700 is easy, trust me. :-D

All the best.

Regards,
Ashish
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 191

Kudos [?]: 1112 [0], given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: My GMAT Experience [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2010, 04:08
congrats 690 is a good score.

Please spare a minute and review your test center.
review-gmat-centers-96476.html

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 53

Re: My GMAT Experience [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2010, 07:45
Ashish,

Congratulations!

'One observation here is that maths was not difficult, but compared to OG, they just like to make it little convoluted.'

How do you think one should prepare for such convoluted questions? Any particular source(s) that you used? Would really appreciate any input to beat the quant section.

If you like my post please click +1 kudos on my profile - Thank you!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Losing Motivation? Michael Jordan | Nick Vujicic | Adversity
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Reviews Badge
Re: My GMAT Experience [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2010, 08:00
Well, I believe it would probably be helpful to lookup some of the tough problems and practice. Also I had a sneak peek at the GMAtClubs maths questions when they opened up for everyone just one day before my exam (During the 4th July w/e). I had a feeling that those questions were very close to what you would expect as tough questions on the actual GMAT. OG doesn't even have one i guess..lol :lol:
Again there is thin line between difficult questions and the convoluted/confusing types. In my experience if you are shooting above 45 in Quant,then GMAT would give you more of the latter types..

Also as I mentioned before, DS would be key to get more on quant. DS questions can be twisted more easily than the normal Problem solving.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: My GMAT Experience [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2010, 17:18
thanks for the good post! I use your idea of focusing on the hard stuff to get ready. That's what I do with verbal.

I WILLconquer the GMAT!!!

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: AS - Gold, UA - Silver, HH-Diamond
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2608

Kudos [?]: 12360 [0], given: 3831

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: My GMAT Experience [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2010, 17:23
Expert's post
Thank you for the post. What schools are you looking into?

Also see this thread: should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Reviews Badge
Re: My GMAT Experience [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 00:13
Not yet decided for apping might give GMAT again :( .
Did attend a session from Columbia last sunday, very much impressed, but need to finalize before I really apply.

With 7 years of expereince, I think wouldn't be worth doing MBA if I get into a10+ ranking school, and getting into top ten would be a challenge.

Regards,
Ashish
Re: My GMAT Experience   [#permalink] 27 Jul 2010, 00:13