Male 28 CPA
BS in accounting from top 50 undergraduate US business school
good community service and volunteer experience
3 year of Hedge fund industry experience from top hedge fund company doing accounting work
2 year in real estate industry
Career Goal: Investment Banking or other finance related work
My name is David and I am deciding whether to go to business school this year and would like to get some insight from you. I started applying for MBA schools last year. After applying to Wharton and Johnson in Round 1 I decided to postpone my MBA application for a year due to the difficult economy condition. I got rejected by Wharton but accepted by Johnson with no financial aid. I feel I could have done better since I did not spend enough time on my application and did not seek any professional help. I already paid my deposit but still on the border line of whether to go this year or wait until fall and reapply for a Top 10 program. On one hand I feel that I can pull off a better application for a better business school and graduate at a time when I am more confident in securing a better job, on the other hand I am getting old and might be hard to get into a Top 10 business program (My target school is Columbia and Chicago). What is your advice?
Assuming that you also have a competitive GPA, you have a competitive profile for both Columbia and Chicago. However, I am always hesitant to give up a bird in hand -- the Cornell acceptance -- and there are no guarantees in admissions. All top schools reject the majority of qualified, competitive applicants who apply. To me the question is "Will Cornell help you achieve the goals you have for an MBA?" If not, you shouldn't have applied and shouldn't attend. If yes, I would recommend you go and not apply again to other programs.
Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog