Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 05:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need a Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Need a Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2011, 21:51
Hi,

I have seen you dish out some amazing advice on the forum.

I just gave GMAT today and I want to see what options I have so that I decide on the future course of action:

GMAT: 680
TOEFL: Haven't taken it

Education:
- Bachelors in Information Technology from Indian Institute of Information Technology - Allahabad. [Institute ranks 9th in India ]
- GPA 7.5/10
- "A" in Business and Management Courses.

Leadership:
- Was Class representative and School.
- Career Expo representative at Undergrad.

Work experience:
- 6 months with Motorola as an Intern at Applied Research and Technology Centre, Motorola India Research Labs.
- Have a patent application with US PTO for the research done at Motorola (Listed as the first inventor)
- 2 years working for Cisco. (Continuing now)
- Won a Cisco Star Award (Best employee of the quarter)
- Also part of various process improvement initiatives at a Business Unit Level.
- Got promoted in the 1st year of work at Cisco.

Others:
- Involved in various Social Initiatives at Cisco.
- Active participant in the School Adoption Program at Cisco. [ We developed the school with the help of funds received from colleagues and educate the kids]
- Was a member of Prayaas at college. [ Prayaas is a program we started to educate the uneducated kids in the slum near our college]

Please let me know a few schools where I stand chance with the above profile.

Thank You..
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross (admit after WL), Foster (admit), Wharton (ding), Thunderbird (admit)
WE 1: US Army logistics
WE 2: Client management & business development (Russian Auditing & accounting firm)
WE 3: Sales for renewable energy firm

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Need a Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2011, 15:24
This isn't direct advice per say, but it may be helpful to briefly outline your short/long term goals, and narrow down a list of 3-6 schools you think would be most helpful in reaching those goals.

I'm persuaded by the notion that you should find out which schools fit YOU, rather than which schools you can fit into.

Also, what was the obstacle that prevented you from breaking the 700 barrier on the GMAT? Was it verbal? I know I'm stereotyping here, but I would assume a 48-50 range quant score given your personal & professional background.
Intern
Intern

Re: Need a Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2011, 16:42
Hi GMATVeteran,

Thanks for responding. I was growing desperate... :(

Sadly it was the other way around. Quant 44, Verbal 40.

It just wasn't my day. :(

I'm looking at Anderson, Fuqua, Ross, Tuck, Tepper, Stern , Kenan Flager, Darden, Johnson .

I want to know if the 680 score and the other aspects of my profile are good enough to get me into one of the above.

Depending on my prospects, I want to make a shorter list and then start apping

Thanks,
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross (admit after WL), Foster (admit), Wharton (ding), Thunderbird (admit)
WE 2: Client management & business development (Russian Auditing & accounting firm)

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

Re: Need a Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2011, 17:01
This post received
KUDOS
seeker21 wrote:
Hi GMATVeteran,

Thanks for responding. I was growing desperate... :(

Sadly it was the other way around. Quant 44, Verbal 40.

It just wasn't my day. :(

I'm looking at Anderson, Fuqua, Ross, Tuck, Tepper, Stern , Kenan Flager, Darden, Johnson .

I want to know if the 680 score and the other aspects of my profile are good enough to get me into one of the above.

Depending on my prospects, I want to make a shorter list and then start apping

Thanks,

In terms of GMAT, I would be slightly more comfortable applying to that list of schools w/ a 700 or above. If you have a chance to retake, I think it would be worth a shot. Most people (I think nearly 90%) do better on their second try.

Regardless of whether you retake, it sounds like you have plenty of material to talk about on your essays. You can play up your rapid progression and point to proof of your ability to innovate. The best advise I can give at the moment is that when you write about your pending patent, keep it concise, make it readable to the average laymen, and clearly articulate the potential impact of your invention. If this innovation was part of a team effort, be sure to credit your team, but try to illustrate your role as a leader.

Also, I know it'll be difficult to visit, especially from India, but if you get the chance, it wouldn't hurt to chat up a few student ambassadors and do your interview on campus.
Intern
Intern

Re: Need a Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2011, 21:34
Hi GMATVeteran,

You have been a real life saver.

Should i think of retaking the test, which score will be considered? The latest, best or the average ?

Also, could you please rate my chances at each of these schools? (Anderson, Fuqua, Ross, Tuck, Tepper, Stern , Kenan Flager, Darden, Johnson ) Long shot, Decent Chance, Cake walk.

And, could you let me know a couple of schools where I stand a good chance?

Thanks very much,
Intern
Intern

Re: Need a Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2011, 21:39
GMATVeteran,

I know I am fretting. But I just want to know if I can make it into these schools with my profile backed by good essays and interview.

Thanks,
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Need a Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2011, 23:37
Hi Seeker

Since you are aiming for top schools then a score above 700 is desirable. However GMAT alone won’t determine your chances of admission; beyond the academics will also help you in determining your candidature and your work experience plays a vital role as well.

Generally most of the Indian applicants are from engineering background with a good 4-5 years of work experience. Although it is not just the work experience that counts but also what you did there like-what were your achievements, what initiative you took, what changes you drove in your workplace etc. So you need to ensure that in your years of work experience to come that you have demonstrated the skills business schools are looking for. This could still put in a strong set of essays for you. So you would need to differentiate yourself from remaining pool of applicants.

Start thinking what makes you unique and what’s that ‘hook’ that will be key to your application. Make sure you follow the ‘show rather than tell’ principle so that the admissions committee could really understand your strengths and differentiating factors.”

Hence the quality of your work, your academics and beyond academics will play an important role in determining your candidature.

Thanks!
Kavita Singh
FutureWorks Consulting
Pre Application Strategies|Admission Consulting |Pre-Departure Coaching|Workshops

Find out where you stand with our Free Assessment Test or drop your resume at kavita@futureworks.co.in

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Need a Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2011, 23:54
seeker21 wrote:
Hi GMATVeteran,

You have been a real life saver.

Should i think of retaking the test, which score will be considered? The latest, best or the average ?

Also, could you please rate my chances at each of these schools? (Anderson, Fuqua, Ross, Tuck, Tepper, Stern , Kenan Flager, Darden, Johnson ) Long shot, Decent Chance, Cake walk.

And, could you let me know a couple of schools where I stand a good chance?

Thanks very much,

As for the GMAT, I don't think any schools take the average (someone correct me if I'm wrong), its either the latest or the best (with the former being more likely as far as I know).

As for rating your chances, honestly, I know very little about the inner workings of the various B-school adcoms. I'm actually just parroting what everyone out there says you should do to based on your circumstances, so I would rather not rate your chances w/o any insight to make such ratings meaningful. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Again, judging by the questions you're asking, I think you still have this process a bit backwards (or course, this opinion is based on western B-school search orthodoxy, so take my views w/ a grain of salt). The more pressing question shouldn't be "where can I get lucky & get in?", but rather "out of this list, which school has the best curriculum & network to help me achieve my goals?" Once you've figured out the hierarchy of these schools (ordered according to how well THEY can serve YOU, NOT vice versa), you can start to construct an application packet that fits your top choices in that hierarchy.

By that time, it should be easy to explain to the adcom why you want to attend school X, because you would have already answered that question through the process of narrowing & ordering your school list.

I'm sorry for not being able to answer your question, but I hope I can help you ask the right question.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Need a Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 20:16
Usually most of the schools take the highest GMAT score. Rearding your chances, it completely depends on how well you execute your application.
Re: Need a Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 12 Jul 2011, 20:16