Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 06:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need Advice about B-Schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Need Advice about B-Schools [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2005, 12:33
Dear Scott and Omari,

I was wondering if you can give me some advice. I have just started doing my research 2 days back about top B-schools. I am looking to apply for 2006 session.

First, let me state some of my details:

GMAT: Q 49 (90%), V 36 (81%) Total: 710 (94%)

EDU: MS in Mech Engineering from accrediated school GPA 3.7
BE in Mech Engineering from Univ of Pune, India. Ranked 1st in my
college.

TECHNICAL ACHIEVEMENTS: 2 Technical papers published,
1 at International Users conference for a particular
software
2 at American Society of Mech Engineers Research
Student conference

WORK EXP: 4 1/2 years in 2 engineering companies. Currently, working as a Project Engineer with project management responsibilities, dealing with customers and vendors on everyday basis, overseeing 2 test technicians in my company.

Involved in ISO activities at the job, creating documents and procedures for the certification

Worked as a part of Quality Assurance and Process Management Team in an auto company in India

Have worked with professor as his teaching assistant in Grad school, conducted help sessions for students who need help with Math. Participated in raising awareness among women about engineering programs at school

QUESTIONS:
1. I want to stay in NY area, what do you think my prospects are at Columbia or NYU?

2. Also, any other big league schools I can think of with my background and GMAT score outside of New York? As I said earlier, I have not done any research about the schools yet. So, I am not aware of big schools as such

3. I want to stay on technology management or Operations Management side preferably. Do you think my background is in-line with this concentration.

4. I hop age will not be a factor in my case, as by next fall (fall 2006, when I am planning to go to school), I will be 31 years old. But during application process I will be 30 :) . Do you think this is a bit of an issue?

I have to do a lot of research to come to a conclusion. Your help is greatly appreciated. Any input from you will be helpful.

Thanks a lot in advance.

-Budz
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2005, 16:20
Quote:
1. I want to stay in NY area, what do you think my prospects are at Columbia or NYU?

2. Also, any other big league schools I can think of with my background and GMAT score outside of New York? As I said earlier, I have not done any research about the schools yet. So, I am not aware of big schools as such

3. I want to stay on technology management or Operations Management side preferably. Do you think my background is in-line with this concentration.

4. I hop age will not be a factor in my case, as by next fall (fall 2006, when I am planning to go to school), I will be 31 years old. But during application process I will be 30 . Do you think this is a bit of an issue?

1. Yes, I think you're competitive at those schools assuming you put together a compelling app.

2. Carnegie Mellon, Purdue, MIT

3. Yes

4. No -- There are a lot of b-school students in this age range.

http://www.mbagameplan.com