Hi Linda and others,
Thanks for helping all of us out here with our doubts and questions.
I wanted to share with you all my profile so that I can get a fair judgement on whether I should apply to some of the schools I am targeting.
Male, Nationality: Indian, Country of Residence: USA, Age 25 yrs (to date)
BS from a prestigious university in India - GPA 8.5/10.0
MS from Stanford University with full scholarship - GPA 3.7/4.0
* Have publications in reputed journals and published technical reports
GMAT: 690 (Q50 V32)
1. Work for a Hi-Tech company in Operations Mgmt. for 2.5 yrs to date (will be 3+ by next fall)
2. Previously worked as Reserach Assistant (Part-Time 20hrs a week) in IBM Labs and Lawrence Berkeley National Labs for 2 yrs
3. Also worked with Unilever Ltd as Project consultant ((Part-Time 20hrs a week) for 1 yr
1. Active involvement in community service for 4 yrs: Started as a volunteer and raised up the ranks and am currently a VP of a local chapter (spend dedicated 5-6 hrs per week behind this)
2. Won univeristy level awards in field hockey (in india)
3. Finalist in Stanford intramural soccer
4. Listed among the prospectives in university squash team (in Stanford), but couldn't make it to the final team (b'coz of professional commitments)
5. Active in US Amatuer Tennis circuit (though in intermediate level)
1. Got promotion at work in 1.5 yrs (which is quiet unusual in my company) from Engineer to Senior Engineer
2. Got promotions in the Non profit org I work for
3. Received "Best Project Idea" award in a famous competition in India
4. Received "Best Paper" award in a Healthcare related Essay competition in No. California
5. Received 2nd prize in "the Entreprenuer's mind" competition (an informal event with 15 teams) which was organized by Stanford GSB
6. My paper was recognized "Best Critic Paper" in a Stanford GSB class
My Target Schools
Harvard, Yale, Berkeley, Sloan
I am still researching the following schools: Kellogg,Chicago,Columbia
Long Term Goals
Found my own non profit org which will focus on areas such as use of technology in non profit sector, healthcare etc.
Short Term Goals
Work for a healthcare industry/consulting or in a large non profit org to gain experience
Could you please evaluate my chances/odds towards getting into the above schools, and recommend any other schools that I missed (Note: I am only focussing on the top 10-15 colleges)
a) My GMAT Score is low but I have a competitive GPA and a strong academic background. Do you think my GMAT score will come between me and my dream school(s)?
b) Harvard seems to look for "leadership qualities" in every drop of your blood
I definitely donot have a stellar leadership credential (like leading a 200 student org etc.) but thru my work and non profit experience I did demostrate a plethora of leadership experiences (like leading a project to completion, or managing 20000 dollars of funds used in developmental projects in the third world). Though they sound low-key (not as charismatic as a president of a student body) do you think adcom at Harvard will not recognize my achievements?
c) Work Experience - Are Internships (full time), Reasearch Associate postions (half time) counted in "Yrs of work Experience" ?
d) Extracurricular Activities - Finalist in Intramural soccer or say the amatuer tennis involvement doesnt sound that "GRAND" an achievement. Do you think I should list them in my resume/application?
e) Academic/Professional accomplishments - Same as Extracurricular activities; I have some accomplishments that are not that "GRAND" (bullets 5 and 6 in accomplishments section above). Should I list them?
Thank You so much for all your help,