Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 02:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need Advise and Suggestions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need Advise and Suggestions [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2004, 13:47
Hi Linda and others,

Thanks for helping all of us out here with our doubts and questions.
I wanted to share with you all my profile so that I can get a fair judgement on whether I should apply to some of the schools I am targeting.

MY PROFILE

Male, Nationality: Indian, Country of Residence: USA, Age 25 yrs (to date)

Academic Background:
BS from a prestigious university in India - GPA 8.5/10.0
MS from Stanford University with full scholarship - GPA 3.7/4.0
* Have publications in reputed journals and published technical reports
GMAT: 690 (Q50 V32)

Work Experience:
1. Work for a Hi-Tech company in Operations Mgmt. for 2.5 yrs to date (will be 3+ by next fall)
2. Previously worked as Reserach Assistant (Part-Time 20hrs a week) in IBM Labs and Lawrence Berkeley National Labs for 2 yrs
3. Also worked with Unilever Ltd as Project consultant ((Part-Time 20hrs a week) for 1 yr

Extracurricular:
1. Active involvement in community service for 4 yrs: Started as a volunteer and raised up the ranks and am currently a VP of a local chapter (spend dedicated 5-6 hrs per week behind this)
2. Won univeristy level awards in field hockey (in india)
3. Finalist in Stanford intramural soccer
4. Listed among the prospectives in university squash team (in Stanford), but couldn't make it to the final team (b'coz of professional commitments)
5. Active in US Amatuer Tennis circuit (though in intermediate level)

Academic/Professional accomplishments
1. Got promotion at work in 1.5 yrs (which is quiet unusual in my company) from Engineer to Senior Engineer
2. Got promotions in the Non profit org I work for
3. Received "Best Project Idea" award in a famous competition in India
4. Received "Best Paper" award in a Healthcare related Essay competition in No. California
5. Received 2nd prize in "the Entreprenuer's mind" competition (an informal event with 15 teams) which was organized by Stanford GSB
6. My paper was recognized "Best Critic Paper" in a Stanford GSB class

My Target Schools
Harvard, Yale, Berkeley, Sloan
I am still researching the following schools: Kellogg,Chicago,Columbia

Long Term Goals
Found my own non profit org which will focus on areas such as use of technology in non profit sector, healthcare etc.
Short Term Goals
Work for a healthcare industry/consulting or in a large non profit org to gain experience

MY QUESTIONS

Part A

Could you please evaluate my chances/odds towards getting into the above schools, and recommend any other schools that I missed (Note: I am only focussing on the top 10-15 colleges)

Part B

a) My GMAT Score is low but I have a competitive GPA and a strong academic background. Do you think my GMAT score will come between me and my dream school(s)?

b) Harvard seems to look for "leadership qualities" in every drop of your blood :wink: I definitely donot have a stellar leadership credential (like leading a 200 student org etc.) but thru my work and non profit experience I did demostrate a plethora of leadership experiences (like leading a project to completion, or managing 20000 dollars of funds used in developmental projects in the third world). Though they sound low-key (not as charismatic as a president of a student body) do you think adcom at Harvard will not recognize my achievements?

c) Work Experience - Are Internships (full time), Reasearch Associate postions (half time) counted in "Yrs of work Experience" ?

d) Extracurricular Activities - Finalist in Intramural soccer or say the amatuer tennis involvement doesnt sound that "GRAND" an achievement. Do you think I should list them in my resume/application?

e) Academic/Professional accomplishments - Same as Extracurricular activities; I have some accomplishments that are not that "GRAND" (bullets 5 and 6 in accomplishments section above). Should I list them?

Thank You so much for all your help,

Warm Regards

PP

[/u]
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2004, 18:34
Hi,

A) I would certainly consider Penn as well.

B) This really depends on how you "sell" your leadership experiences

C) Generally, no to both questions.

D) These experiences help show something outside of work and school that interests you.

E) I would add them if they show another facet of your personality/achievement

Hjort
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 335 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need Advise and Suggestions [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2004, 21:30
Expert's post
Road2BSchool wrote:
"Best Critic Paper" in a Stanford GSB class

My Target Schools
Harvard, Yale, Berkeley, Sloan
I am still researching the following schools: Kellogg,Chicago,Columbia

Long Term Goals
Found my own non profit org which will focus on areas such as use of technology in non profit sector, healthcare etc.
Short Term Goals
Work for a healthcare industry/consulting or in a large non profit org to gain experience

MY QUESTIONS

Part A

Could you please evaluate my chances/odds towards getting into the above schools, and recommend any other schools that I missed (Note: I am only focussing on the top 10-15 colleges)

Part B

a) My GMAT Score is low but I have a competitive GPA and a strong academic background. Do you think my GMAT score will come between me and my dream school(s)?

b) Harvard seems to look for "leadership qualities" in every drop of your blood :wink: I definitely donot have a stellar leadership credential (like leading a 200 student org etc.) but thru my work and non profit experience I did demostrate a plethora of leadership experiences (like leading a project to completion, or managing 20000 dollars of funds used in developmental projects in the third world). Though they sound low-key (not as charismatic as a president of a student body) do you think adcom at Harvard will not recognize my achievements?

c) Work Experience - Are Internships (full time), Reasearch Associate postions (half time) counted in "Yrs of work Experience" ?

d) Extracurricular Activities - Finalist in Intramural soccer or say the amatuer tennis involvement doesnt sound that "GRAND" an achievement. Do you think I should list them in my resume/application?

e) Academic/Professional accomplishments - Same as Extracurricular activities; I have some accomplishments that are not that "GRAND" (bullets 5 and 6 in accomplishments section above). Should I list them?

Thank You so much for all your help,

Warm Regards

PP

[/u]

A) You have a competitive profile for these schools and are applying appropriately.

B) Yes. There are two key ingredients to leadership:

1) Followers. If you were not motivating and leading others, you didn't lead. Inventing a new mousetrap in an attic does not qualify.

2) Impact. If you led in a trivial pursuit, that also would not impress anyone at Harvard. Managing a $20,000 budget of development projects and having an impact will impress.

For more on leadership, please see "The Leadership Thing"

c) They are counted, but make clear what was full time and what was part-time. Also be aware that while counted, they may not be as valued as working in the business world.

d) Yes

e) As long as they aren't keeping out something else, yes.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog