Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 17:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need GMAT Strategy Help!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 42

Need GMAT Strategy Help!! [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 17:32
Hi everyone,

My test date is approaching quickly, but unfortunately my test scores are not increasing just as quickly. I am writing down my studying experience with exam scores thus far- hopefully someone can give me some solid advice!!

My test date is in early March 2013 and I started browsing the GMAT material in July 2012. I studied on and off, and started seriously studying in September. I'm not sure I'm taking the best approaches though. Here are my scores so far:

July2012: 470 (Q25/V29)
September2012: 560 (Q34/V34), 600 (Q34/V37)
Oct2012: 580 (Q33/V37), 580 (Q37/V31)
Dec2012: 570 (Q32/V32), 640 (Q36/V44), 630 (Q42/V35), 590 (Q43/V26), 580 (Q41, V28)
Jan2013: 620 (Q39/V35)

I underlined the scores where I got my highest verbal and quant raw scores- hopefully this means that I'm capable of achieving 40+ on both sections. My target is 700+, and I'm beginning to really worry because I'm so inconsistent (or consistently) under my target score.

My strategy so far has been to do the Veritas Prep homework and the OG13 questions. I took a Veritas classroom course because I really haven't taken any math classes since I was in HS- and it looks like it helped a little bit, but somehow my verbal score plummeted. I have an inkling that I'm focusing too much on practice problem quantity instead of quality now- so if you have strategy tips, I would REALLY appreciate it!!!
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GMAT Prepster and Stratus Prep
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.1
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 41 [1] , given: 4

Re: Need GMAT Strategy Help!! [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2013, 12:53
This post received
KUDOS
Practice practice! Quick recall of the material is the best way to improve.

If my response helps, please add throw me a kudos.

Jim Kernan is the Director of GMAT Operations at Stratus Prep and author of GMAT Materials for GMAT Prepster.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 990 [1] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Need GMAT Strategy Help!! [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 11:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi JJ2014,

I think you can improve further if you plan your study properly.

I see a gradual increase in your scores. You can touch the 700+ mark if you score 34+ in Verbal and 48+ in Quant.

Seeing your scores, you need to work more on quant, also you have more space to improve your Quant score. Scoring 40+ in verbal is much harder than scoring 40+ in quant . So once you reach the 46 - 48+ mark on Quant and if time permits go for 40+ target in Verbal.

Following combinations would give you a rough benchmark for a 700 - 710 score

Q47 V38
Q49 V36, 37
Q46 V39, 40
Q48 V37

I would recommend you the below strategy. .

Remaining Days of Jan -- Solidify your Quant concepts. You can do this by learning the basics and practicing easy questions (550 - 600 on all the quant topics). Getting an easy question incorrect in the test could do more harm to your score; moreover taking less time in easy questions would give you more time to solve harder quant questions later in the test. Figure out which areas you find difficult and practice more on these areas in the coming month. Keep in touch with verbal part but give more focus to quant in Jan.

Feb -- Practice harder quant and verbal questions. If you have not yet finished OGs and GMAT Prep then you must do so before entering the test.

1st week of March -- revise the questions you got incorrect in your practice and solidify those concepts in both verbal and quant. If you want to practice questions then restrict yourself to official ones. Do not take any new test 1 week prior to your actual GMAT. You could repeat your GMATPrep tests.

All the best

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1152

Kudos [?]: 5350 [1] , given: 165

Re: Need GMAT Strategy Help!! [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 19:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
JJ2014 wrote:
Hi everyone,

My test date is approaching quickly, but unfortunately my test scores are not increasing just as quickly. I am writing down my studying experience with exam scores thus far- hopefully someone can give me some solid advice!!

My test date is in early March 2013 and I started browsing the GMAT material in July 2012. I studied on and off, and started seriously studying in September. I'm not sure I'm taking the best approaches though. Here are my scores so far:

July2012: 470 (Q25/V29)
September2012: 560 (Q34/V34), 600 (Q34/V37)
Oct2012: 580 (Q33/V37), 580 (Q37/V31)
Dec2012: 570 (Q32/V32), 640 (Q36/V44), 630 (Q42/V35), 590 (Q43/V26), 580 (Q41, V28)
Jan2013: 620 (Q39/V35)

I underlined the scores where I got my highest verbal and quant raw scores- hopefully this means that I'm capable of achieving 40+ on both sections. My target is 700+, and I'm beginning to really worry because I'm so inconsistent (or consistently) under my target score.

My strategy so far has been to do the Veritas Prep homework and the OG13 questions. I took a Veritas classroom course because I really haven't taken any math classes since I was in HS- and it looks like it helped a little bit, but somehow my verbal score plummeted. I have an inkling that I'm focusing too much on practice problem quantity instead of quality now- so if you have strategy tips, I would REALLY appreciate it!!!

First of all, I think this is commendable performance. From 470, you have come a long way to 620. The good part is that a 150 point increase is not easy to come by. The bad part is that after 600-650, it gets harder to improve further. At 600, your basics are in place and you know how to solve most easy and quite a few medium level questions. But there is a gap in medium to hard questions. I would suggest you to review your tests and write down the topics you make maximum mistakes in. Then tackle them one by one starting with the basic theory from your books, moving on to practice questions from the books, then from OG and then from this forum. Try to work on one Quant and one Verbal topic everyday. Continue this till mid Feb. Then take a GMAT prep test. Again, note down the topics you make maximum mistakes in. For the next 3 weeks, work on those.
Thereafter, review and relax in the leftover time.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: Need GMAT Strategy Help!! [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 06:09
Thank you all VERY VERY much!!! I will try these suggestions and hopefully see progress..

Life begins at the edge of your comfort zone.

Appreciate the +1!

Intern
Intern

Re: Need GMAT Strategy Help!! [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 14:06
I've been hitting 640 now.. but my goal is 710. I decided to postpone my test until May. I hope this will help me better prepare!! I hear that the jump from mid-600 to 700+ is the hardest. Any other advice tips?? Thank you!

Appreciate the +1!

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1152

Kudos [?]: 5350 [0], given: 165

Re: Need GMAT Strategy Help!! [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 22:20
Expert's post
JJ2014 wrote:
I've been hitting 640 now.. but my goal is 710. I decided to postpone my test until May. I hope this will help me better prepare!! I hear that the jump from mid-600 to 700+ is the hardest. Any other advice tips?? Thank you!

Whats your Quant/Verbal split and how do you fare in different topics (algebra/geometry/number properties etc) and different question types (DS/PS/CR/SC/RC)?

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: Need GMAT Strategy Help!! [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 06:10
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
JJ2014 wrote:

Whats your Quant/Verbal split and how do you fare in different topics (algebra/geometry/number properties etc) and different question types (DS/PS/CR/SC/RC)?

Thank you for replying! I'm at Q41/42, V36/37. I know I struggle with number properties and make a lot of careless mistakes. Otherwise, I'm really not sure what specific area I've been having trouble with. It feels like I get a few of everything wrong... What's the best way to get myself to be aware of areas that I need to fix?

Appreciate the +1!

Re: Need GMAT Strategy Help!!   [#permalink] 22 Feb 2013, 06:10