Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 10:37

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

need help from gmat math experts

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

need help from gmat math experts [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 02:30
i have noticed that some of the gmat math seem duanting and tedious..i need some tips on how i can solve problems based on operations of multiplications,divisions,subractions and additions in an easier way whilst managing the time, for instance;multiplying 7931 by 1993 would cause some problems and most definitely waste more of my time during an exam..i need help on techiniques that can break tough and time wasting calculations in a simple and a less tiresome way..dividing numbers that are in decimals but have many digits or even multiplying them is my day to day problem..i humbly appreciate anyone who can spare his/her time just to help me with the tips or even additional information that is clear in understanding..i will need those useful tips and techiniques during my sitting of my gmat math exam to save more time..THANKS

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 441 [0], given: 449

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: need help from gmat math experts [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 05:44
chiccufrazer1 wrote:
i have noticed that some of the gmat math seem duanting and tedious..i need some tips on how i can solve problems based on operations of multiplications,divisions,subractions and additions in an easier way whilst managing the time, for instance;multiplying 7931 by 1993 would cause some problems and most definitely waste more of my time during an exam..i need help on techiniques that can break tough and time wasting calculations in a simple and a less tiresome way..dividing numbers that are in decimals but have many digits or even multiplying them is my day to day problem..i humbly appreciate anyone who can spare his/her time just to help me with the tips or even additional information that is clear in understanding..i will need those useful tips and techiniques during my sitting of my gmat math exam to save more time..THANKS

Don' t over-think/overdo stuff.

I've taken GMAT twice and have solved a lot of quant problems. It would be safe to say that I haven't solved anything close to 7931 x 1993 for GMAT quant. The GMAT is designed not to test your mental math/quick calculations, but your understanding of concepts.

a couple of points:
1.) You are better of learning quant basics (and advanced quant subsequently) and solving questions rather than focusing on how to nail the calculation part in less than 5 sec. In fact, in my opinion you should slow down on the calculations, because that is where most of the errors happen.
2.) Even if you learn the 'tricks' to do these calculations quickly, I don't think you would be 'confident' enough to use them on the test. At least, I would double check with the traditional way. That will only result in losing more time.

Still if you would like to improve your calculations, go through some vedic mathematics material.

P.S: if I saw 7931 x 1993 on the test, I would have rounded off (to 2000) and moved on. Or if I had still more time I would have done this 7931 x 2000 - 7931 x 7.

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: need help from gmat math experts [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 06:30
I am definitely not an expert but I just thought of something - check out the awesome GMAT club math book, it has a lot of shortcuts/formulas that will be of help in cutting down your time & in thinking of things the right way.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1070

Kudos [?]: 4771 [0], given: 163

Re: need help from gmat math experts [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 19:44
Expert's post
chiccufrazer1 wrote:

To ensure that calculations don't eat up your time, you should know a few things e.g. multiplication tables, squares, cubes etc. I have provided a list on my post: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2012/04 ... culations/

GMAT will never ask you to multiply 7931 by 1993. If you see that you need to do something like that, it means one of two things:

1. The concept being tested is different. Perhaps you need to find the common factors and cancel. Perhaps you only need to look at the last digit to get your answer. Perhaps the answer choices are wide apart and there is only one answer which is less than 16 million (approximate 8000*2000 = 16 million) etc.

2. You blundered somewhere on the way to 7931*1993.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: need help from gmat math experts [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2014, 07:25
There are some specialized services for that like:
assignmentexpert
liveperson
Re: need help from gmat math experts   [#permalink] 20 Jul 2014, 07:25