Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 10:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need some advice

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2004
Posts: 45
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need some advice [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2004, 07:04
Hi Linda,
I need your expert advice.
My job situation could change within the next year. I did horrible on my gmats nut unlikely with help of the rest of my application got accept to one of the three schools I applied. The other two advised me to retake the gmats in March and reapply for September. I am not sure if I should accept the schools offer which i was accepted or try and retake the gmats?
My concern is two-fold. If my job situation changes the school might too expensive and I might have to enroll in a different program. how do schools look at transfers? Also will a graduate course with a good grade help with my low gmats score with another school? Or should I defer enrollment til September and retake my gmats and march and see how I fair with the other schools? I need some expert advice. And I have to make the decision this week. The school I was accepted to was my first choice but I am afraid of my job situation changing.
Any help you or anyone can give me will be appreciated.
Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4814
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need some advice [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2004, 16:54
Expert's post
tel93 wrote:
Hi Linda,
I need your expert advice.
My job situation could change within the next year. I did horrible on my gmats nut unlikely with help of the rest of my application got accept to one of the three schools I applied. The other two advised me to retake the gmats in March and reapply for September. I am not sure if I should accept the schools offer which i was accepted or try and retake the gmats?
My concern is two-fold. If my job situation changes the school might too expensive and I might have to enroll in a different program. how do schools look at transfers? Also will a graduate course with a good grade help with my low gmats score with another school? Or should I defer enrollment til September and retake my gmats and march and see how I fair with the other schools? I need some expert advice. And I have to make the decision this week. The school I was accepted to was my first choice but I am afraid of my job situation changing.
Any help you or anyone can give me will be appreciated.
Thanks


If I understand you correctly, you have been accepted at one school, let's say School A. You have also applied to 3 other schools and believe that your GMAT will prevent your admission to any of those schools.

Furthermore, you are planning to attend business school while working and are concerned that if your job situation changes, you may not be able to pay for School A or any other school

If your job situation remains stable, then you attend your top choice school, forget about the GMAT, and proceed happily ever after. If your job situation changes, you may have to drop out of school -- hopefully-- temporarily. When you have the income again, you will probably be able to resume. Check with the school, but most schools, especially part-time programs understand that sometimes students need to take a break for financial reasons.

Good luck!
_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2004
Posts: 45
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

re need help [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2004, 06:38
Hi Linda,
Your understanding is correct. how do school look at transfer students?
Also the other two school did tell me that gmat was the problem for my admission and recommended that I retake the Gmats before applying.
What do I tell the admission committee of the other two schools?
Do I tell them I need to defer my application for the time being because of my work situation or do i say I got accepted to School A programs and will still retake the GMATS?
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4814
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: re need help [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2004, 15:28
Expert's post
tel93 wrote:
Hi Linda,
Your understanding is correct. how do school look at transfer students?
Also the other two school did tell me that gmat was the problem for my admission and recommended that I retake the Gmats before applying.
What do I tell the admission committee of the other two schools?
Do I tell them I need to defer my application for the time being because of my work situation or do i say I got accepted to School A programs and will still retake the GMATS?


In my experience, it is hard to get accepted as a transfer student, but even when you do, you lose credit for the classes taken at the first school. They don't count.

Tell them you plan to retake the GMAT and are withdrawing your application.
Don't tell them about School A.

Good luck!
_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2004
Posts: 45
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

re need advice [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2004, 12:19
Linda,
Thanks for the advice.
So is tranferring the same thing as reapplying to the school?
And by saying that to the school b I would ruin my chances if i need to go to that school later on? Will he see the courses I took at school A? And will it look bad if I changes programs?
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Need Some Advice MA466 12 08 Mar 2006, 10:57
Need some advice wiseguy 2 08 Oct 2005, 15:28
need some advice shilpa shastri 1 06 Oct 2005, 21:37
Need some advice wiseguy 1 06 Aug 2005, 17:16
Experts publish their posts in the topic Need some advice, if possible! BudweisAr 7 25 Jan 2005, 09:07
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Need some advice

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.