Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:12 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
BudweisAr wrote:
Linda,

Thanks a lot for your quick response. I did not get the URL of the efile you mentioned in your response.

Do you know anything about operations management major, and how competitive is it.

Yes, I will look outside of NY for sure, do you think age will be a factor, I mean this year august I will be 30, by next fall I will be 31 and during the application process I will be 30. :roll: I am just wondering if this is going to be a problem.

Thanks again for your help. I have not checked out your website yet to see what kind of services you offer. I will do that in short while.

Sorry. I meant to link to the ebook title. IN any case here is the link to Best Practices for 2005 MBA Admissions.

I don't have any reliable information as to whether the operations mgmt major is more or less competitive from an admission perspective than other majors.

Age, or more accurately amount of experience, is more of an issue at some schools than others. If you apply at 31 to a school where the average age is 26, it will be more of an issue. If you apply to a school where the average age is 28 or 29, it won't be an issue. Please see "MBA Admissions: Advice for Older Applicants."

For information on our services, please check our MBA consulting and editing catalog.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Linda,

Thanks again.

So which schools have average age requirement higher, in the range of 28-30?

I also saw that the school names you gave me did not include northwestern, is it because they have very high app requirements?

I want to apply to only good business schools based in my GMAT, work ex as well as academic background.

As always, appreciate your help.

Thanks,
budze
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
BudweisAr wrote:
Linda,

Thanks again.

So which schools have average age requirement higher, in the range of 28-30?

I also saw that the school names you gave me did not include northwestern, is it because they have very high app requirements?

I want to apply to only good business schools based in my GMAT, work ex as well as academic background.

As always, appreciate your help.

Thanks,
budze

First of all, it's not an average age requirement. It's an average age. I believe that average reflects what the school is looking for in terms of experience and where it's going to aim its classes. But age is not a requirment. Schools with higher average ages include: Wharton, Insead, LBS, IMD, Tuck, MIT, and Darden. You can see average age for all schools by checking out the BW stats.

Northwestern certainly is an excellent option and it is good in operations, it is a less likely admit than the other schools because you come from such a competitive cohort. I suggested the schools I did for a variety of reasons: Strength in operations and technical management, your stats, etc.
Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Mech Engineer Vs IT background [#permalink]
Linda,

Do you think being a Mechanical Engineer can be a small advantage compared to IT grads?

I was talking to one of my friends who is in his 2nd yr at Cornell and he mentioned that an engineer from a different discipline (especially for Indian applicants) is better because there are some 4898414617691 (a staggering number, no surprise there) Indian IT grads applied to Cornell last year.

I am a mechee and have a very strong case why I stayed with mech eng instead of switching to IT like many people who came to US with me few years back when IT was booming.

Please let me know whether I my line of thinking is right.

appreciate your help and thanks in advance... as always

-budze
Send PM
Re: Mech Engineer Vs IT background [#permalink]
Expert Reply
BudweisAr wrote:
Linda,

Do you think being a Mechanical Engineer can be a small advantage compared to IT grads?

I was talking to one of my friends who is in his 2nd yr at Cornell and he mentioned that an engineer from a different discipline (especially for Indian applicants) is better because there are some 4898414617691 (a staggering number, no surprise there) Indian IT grads applied to Cornell last year.

I am a mechee and have a very strong case why I stayed with mech eng instead of switching to IT like many people who came to US with me few years back when IT was booming.

Please let me know whether I my line of thinking is right.

appreciate your help and thanks in advance... as always

-budze

While I'm a little suspicious of the number you cite above, there is no question that Indian IT guys are a dime a dozen in MBA admissions. Competition is fierce. Is mechanical engineering easier? Somewhat. But it is still a crowded bucket.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Mech Engineer Vs IT background [#permalink]