Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Aug 2015, 05:21
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Numbers

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Jul 2003
Posts: 654
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Numbers [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2004, 17:36
This topic is locked. If you want to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum.

One of the Preatorian's question inspired me to come up this question?

How many integer solutions are there for the equation
3X + 12Y = 146.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4308
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2004, 18:34
You should have limited the question to positive integers to make it simpler but I believe answer to be none. I tried a few combinations and it just never worked.
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Mar 2004
Posts: 328
Location: There
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Numbers [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2004, 20:28
kpadma wrote:
One of the Preatorian's question inspired me to come up this question?

How many integer solutions are there for the equation
3X + 12Y = 146.


no solutions, because 146 is not a multiple of 3

Last edited by hallelujah1234 on 27 Mar 2004, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Feb 2004
Posts: 290
Location: USA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2004, 05:52
hallelujiah1234, is it that 146 is not a multiple of 4 OR is it that it's not a multiple of 12??
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4308
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 0

Re: Numbers [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2004, 06:00
hallelujah1234 wrote:
kpadma wrote:
One of the Preatorian's question inspired me to come up this question?

How many integer solutions are there for the equation
3X + 12Y = 146.


no solutions, because 146 is not a multiple of 4

I think this explanation is wrong because in Praet's previous question, 63 was not a multiple of 4 either but we could still find some answer for 4X+3Y=63...
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Mar 2004
Posts: 328
Location: There
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Numbers [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2004, 13:22
Paul wrote:
hallelujah1234 wrote:
kpadma wrote:
One of the Preatorian's question inspired me to come up this question?

How many integer solutions are there for the equation
3X + 12Y = 146.


no solutions, because 146 is not a multiple of 4

I think this explanation is wrong because in Praet's previous question, 63 was not a multiple of 4 either but we could still find some answer for 4X+3Y=63...


3(x+4y) = 146 in which rhs is not multiple of 3. Hence no solutions
Re: Numbers   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2004, 13:22
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Numbers

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.