I'm 26/M from IIT and have worked in wide varied industry - Insurance, Retail, Pharma and Banking - all these experiences are with small management consulting firm in Analytics except the banking experience is with CapitalOne on card marketing.
Total 4yrs - 2yrs in India and 2yrs in USA
GMAT score of 720.
I do not have any leadership experience as such except that I was Cricket captain in 2000 - I do not have any proof of this. I represented my hall in Chess tournament during undergrad.
I worked with 2 NGOs for upliftment of community through education in India. These small NGOs are not well recognized and I'm not quite sure how helpful such steps will be - some of steps taken by me helped one NGO in establishing itself and I'm founding member for the other NGO - I did not do any of these for schools so I do not have any proof but can get it.
My target schools for September application are MIT, NYU, Cornell, Haas and LBS, INSEAD - mostly targeting schools that help number ppl or ppl with mgmt consulting experience or IIT-engineering.
I'd like to know your opinion on
1. My chances?
2. Does my experience with small NGOs help?
3. How should I present my experience with small management company's knowing that some of my competitors will be coming from better mgmt company's?
4. How much does my experience with Capital1 helps my case.
5. Also, because I have the opportunity to take Maanger job with another company - I was wondering how much that would help my case for next yr? should I wait for another yr?
Lots of questions but lots of appreciation too
Apologies for delay in reply.
GMAT - Your GMAT score is in the current range of the schools that you have mentioned. Now, if you think that you can score 750+ by giving it another try, I would suggest you to retake it, else your current score is ok ( does not help your profile and at the same time does not hurt your profile)
Your Work Ex - Your work ex is actually very impressive, but believe me you gotta highlight each aspect of your work ex in your essays. Exposure to different industries in a span of four yours of work ex is something that can really help you differentiate yourself from the other applicants. I would repeat that please ensure your essays scream the best of your essays.
You have a challenge that - you do not have leadership experience (at work)
You mentioned that you have worked for uplifting NGOs ( did it require some leadership ? , if yes , highlight the same)
You do not require any formal certificate as of now to prove your association with the NGO, and this association does help (answer to your 2nd Que)
You have good chances for the schools mentioned.
Top b-schools smarter and smartest people out of a lot of SMART people, so you have to prove yourself that you are SMARTER or SMARTEST, and the best way to do this is by submitting stellar essays.
Your Question : How should I present my experience with small management company's knowing that some of my competitors will be coming from better mgmt company's?
I believe what matters more is your exposure, this question is very difficult to answer on face value without analyzing your work profile in detail, but do not worry too much if you are not from BIG companies. Your work exposure and work responsibilities matter the most.
4. How much does my experience with Capital1 helps my case -- does help, but does not give you an edge
5. Also, because I have the opportunity to take Maanger job with another company - I was wondering how much that would help my case for next yr? should I wait for another yr? ==== answer of this question is very difficult and your choice depends on a lot of factors such as can you wait for a year ? do you think your work exposure is gonna be extremely great ? do you think this exposure is very UNIQUE ? etc etc.
Hope this helps
Hope this helps
Free Essay Editing Service