Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 14:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

On Campus vs Alumni Interview ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
On Campus vs Alumni Interview ? [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2005, 11:19
Hi Linda,

Need ur advise on on-campus vs Alumni interview. Does on-campus give a slight edge to admission chances compared to alumni ones? I know all schools claim that it doesn't.

On-campus is taken by a student. Don't u think student
interviewers are hard/strict on the interviewees and
go by the book compared to alumnus making the alumnus
interview easier to crack ?

Also I live in the Northeast area, so will the schools in this region hold it against me if I opt for alumni interview for these schools. But these schools are not in driving distance from my place and I wud have to take a flight for on-campus.

Thx
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 58

GMAT Tests User
Re: On Campus vs Alumni Interview ? [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2005, 23:27
Expert's post
banerjeea_98 wrote:
Hi Linda,

Need ur advise on on-campus vs Alumni interview. Does on-campus give a slight edge to admission chances compared to alumni ones? I know all schools claim that it doesn't.

On-campus is taken by a student. Don't u think student
interviewers are hard/strict on the interviewees and
go by the book compared to alumnus making the alumnus
interview easier to crack ?

Also I live in the Northeast area, so will the schools in this region hold it against me if I opt for alumni interview for these schools. But these schools are not in driving distance from my place and I wud have to take a flight for on-campus.

Thx

Most schools say that a visit doesn't affect your chances, but defintely not all. I know that some schools look at an on-campus visit as a sign of interest and seriousness. For for schools that truly do not weigh an on-campus visit can do for you is provide you with more insight into why you want to attend (or not) a given school. If you gain this insight prior to an interview, you will be better informed for the interview. Even if you can't take advantage of the the school's programs before your interview, taking advantage of it after the interview but during the interview visit will prepare you for a waitlist effort or to make an informed decision in the event of multiple acceptances. (it's nice to dream :-) )

As you can tell, I recommend on-campus interviews. Whether these advantages justify the expense and time of the flight and days off, that only you can decide.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2005, 07:49
Thx Linda,

Could you tell me the top 10 schools who definitely look at on-campus interview as a +ve thing and also the ones who don't care. Does Wharton like candidates coming for on-campus?

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2005, 20:13
Expert's post
banerjeea_98 wrote:
Thx Linda,

Could you tell me the top 10 schools who definitely look at on-campus interview as a +ve thing and also the ones who don't care. Does Wharton like candidates coming for on-campus?

In some cases it's hard to say. Harvard says it doesn't care, and I suspect it doesn't, but others say it weighs visits heavily. Wharton says it doesn't care. Tuck and Darden definitely want applicants to visit. I suspect that the more out-of-way or rural schools will put more weight on a visit because it genuinely does show more effort to find out about the school. Pete Johnson at Haas once said that he would take note if someone in California did not take the time to visit Haas.

Again, keep in mind that even if you don't get "brownie points" in the admissions process you will acquire insight by visiting.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 148 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2005, 20:11
Hey banarjee...i would highly recommend you to visit the campus...I just went to columbia GSB...goood things happen....I run into this faculty who was trying to establish an enterprenuership center..and needed corporate sponsor...well low and behold...yours trully offered to get him sponsorhip from my company....lets see how this goes...

at least think of it this way...yesterday the vice dean and that faculty member were visiting my office and meeting with bosses for possible funding..

in short the visit was extremely helpful....
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2005, 20:20
fresinha, that's really cool! 8-)
That's an almost admit!
Is your plan to take the GMAT still on after all this?

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2005, 17:38
Expert's post
fresinha12 wrote:
Hey banarjee...i would highly recommend you to visit the campus...I just went to columbia GSB...goood things happen....I run into this faculty who was trying to establish an enterprenuership center..and needed corporate sponsor...well low and behold...yours trully offered to get him sponsorhip from my company....lets see how this goes...

at least think of it this way...yesterday the vice dean and that faculty member were visiting my office and meeting with bosses for possible funding..

in short the visit was extremely helpful....

That is a great story!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553