Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 22:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Optional Essay

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Optional Essay [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2012, 10:08
Hi,

Mbamission says that one can use the optional essay to mention about low GMAT score. I have got 590, could I use this to explain the low score. Has anybody done this?

Also, how would you do it.

Please provide suggestions.

Thanks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Optional Essay [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2012, 11:07
What schools are you applying to? If you're looking at schools ranked in the top 50 or so, then most of the post I've written below will probably apply. If not, then take my opinion with a grain of salt. And that's all this really is, is my opinion based on my own experience with the admissions process over the past year.

"Low" GMAT score is a somewhat relative term depending on school selection. Generally anything at the bottom or below the 10th percentile of GMAT scores for a given school is low (probably bottom 25-30 percentile is more like it).

For top 10-15 schools, I think anything below a 680 or so is considered low. Anything below 650 is probably "non-competitive" for a lot of top 20-30 schools. A 590 is more than likely two standard deviations below the mean for most top ranked schools. Assuming schools admit roughly 600-1000 people per year (depending on class size. HBS admits more than Stanford, for example) probably less than 15-20 people per year are admitted with a sub-600 score (this is an unscientific number, mostly a guess on my part. But you can be assured that the number of admits with a score in the 500s is vanishingly small). And these are likely people with extremely compelling stories, careers, grades, and a blue-chip recommendation or two in their file.

If you're planning to apply to schools in the top 50 or so I think you have a lot better chance of gaining admission if you spend your time and energy on studying for and re-taking the GMAT rather than an optional essay. If you can even get from 590 to the mid 600s, you'll probably increase your application's value by a wide margin, a much wider margin than even a well-written optional essay will.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Optional Essay [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2012, 12:09
Thanks a lot . I appreciate your advice.

Just one last question

Where would you put UC Davis in the rankings because there are so many rankings. which ones do you follow the most. I am getting confused there.

Thanks
Current Student
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 21

Re: Optional Essay [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2012, 21:01
UC Davis Rankings:
Poets&Quants: 58
Forbes: 68
U.S. News & World Report: 42
Financial Times: 80
The Economist: 60

Median GMAT: 700
GMAT Range (mid-80%): 650-740
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 6

Re: Optional Essay [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2012, 08:19
In general, it is advisable to talk about an obvious weak point in one's application than to allow admission officers to speculate.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 1

Re: Optional Essay [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2012, 08:29
Expert's post
I would also suggest that you retake GMAT and take it up to least 650 to add value to your application.

MyEssayReview - A personalized and dedicated essay-review service
Email:poonam@myessayreview.com

Image Image Image

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Optional Essay [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2012, 10:45
I agree with Poonamtandon. If I were you and had >1 month and 2+ hr/day to study, I would retake the GMAT. In my experience, 650 is very achievable with basic GMAT fundamentals and some practice. I would take the GMAT until I fall within the mid-80% range for UC-Davis (650-740).
Re: Optional Essay   [#permalink] 28 Jun 2012, 10:45