Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:44 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Technology Management
Schools:Fuqua, Anderson, Johnson, Ross
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: UChicago ends its direct loan program [#permalink]
I dont know any Americans who use Kellogg's since other companies offer extra benefits going with them. However, I have heard that its pretty popular with internationals. So I bet its going to be internationals who will be the ones most affected by GSB eliminating their program.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
The mail suggested that it's affecting everybody who uses IDAPP (the loan program), including Americans. But it also clearly said that the University is most concerned about internationals as they have fewer alternative options...

We guys will get our money, but I would not be too happy paying a higher price on the loans :evil:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Send PM
so will internationals still have other no-cosigner options? ... and this news is not posted on the GSB website, why ?!?!?!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
ujjib wrote:
The mail suggested that it's affecting everybody who uses IDAPP (the loan program), including Americans. But it also clearly said that the University is most concerned about internationals as they have fewer alternative options...

We guys will get our money, but I would not be too happy paying a higher price on the loans :evil:

I am sure it affects everyone but I was saying that most Americans wont use the schools programs because others provide discounts on rates, while school programs dont.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
RR -- Really, other lenders offer better rates? For Stafford, Northwestern University was the only lender that waived any origination fees.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Darden2010 wrote:
so will internationals still have other no-cosigner options? ... and this news is not posted on the GSB website, why ?!?!?!

Darden, IDAPP backed out only earlier this week or last week...so all this is very very recent. And the second thing is that GSB still guarantees loans without co-signer. The latest is that they may already have somebody else on board, and are currently negotiating the terms.. So, don't see a reason why they would post on website. Doesn't impact anybody other than new admits and current students, all of whom have been kept informed...Just hoping the new terms aren't very different from the original ones..
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
MGOBLUE2 wrote:
RR -- Really, other lenders offer better rates? For Stafford, Northwestern University was the only lender that waived any origination fees.

Ya but citi knocks the interest rate down by .75% I believe...which is better over the long term if you arent planning on paying it off right away.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
You can compare incentives offered by Stafford lenders at sites like https://www.studentloanlistings.com/Default.aspx

Some states offer additional incentives to in-state borrowers, for instance it seems like the State of Georgia's student finance commission offers a 0.50% auto-debit reduction as well as a 1.00% reduction after graduation. With zero fees, that effectively puts your Stafford interest rate at around 5.30% in repayment.

Of course, you need to consider whether foregoing interest rate reductions in favour of zero origination and guarantee fees make more sense.
GMAT Club Bot