Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 03:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Part-time MBA programs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 23

Part-time MBA programs [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2012, 16:44
Hello!

I’m considering applying to *part-time* programs (Fall 2013). I took the GMAT a couple months ago and scored 700.
Quant 48 (80 percentile)
Verbal 38 (83 percentile)
AWA 5.0/6.0

I’m a software professional with 5 years of experience. Post-MBA, I intend to continue working in tech.
My options after graduation:
- Advance into Executive Management and lead teams.
- Product Management (tech)
- Business Development (tech)

I live & work in *SF/Bay Area* and was considering UC Berkeley(Haas), UCLA (Anderson), USC (Marshall) and Santa Clara University(Leavey)

Haas is my first choice. I understand that it's very competitive to get in.

I’m not sure if it’s worth travelling to LA on weekends(for UCLA/USC) or just enroll at local Santa Clara (Leavey) if I get in. I understand the benefits of going to a good school like UCLA (networking, education, brand name, global recognition, etc.).
I’m asking because I don’t plan to do a career shift (e.g. finance, consulting, etc.) I know Product Managers and General Managers in my company who have graduated from Leavey and they seem to be doing well (obviously, can’t generalize). My concern is that Leavey is ranked very low. In fact, this year, it slipped to #41. Does anyone know why it plummeted? What is the Leavey's reputation among technology companies in the Silicon Valley?

I’m also looking for more information on MBA admission consultants and how exactly a good consultant can assist in the application-preparation process.

Thanks,
Rohit
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [1] , given: 3

Re: Part-time MBA programs [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2012, 08:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Rohit-

As an admissions consultant, clearly my advice is biased, but can say that what we do is to help draw out the best version of yourself and assist you as you weave together a compelling story and vision for the adcoms. Because using a consultant has become so commonplace, it's now akin to getting an attorney before going to court. We simply help you prepare the best case possible.

As for Santa Clara, I am not sure why it has dropped in the rankings, but it has always been a reputed b-school. You are looking about this the correct way: if there are people in your company who are Santa Clara grads and do well, and if this company is where you plan to make your career, you could do well going there. Always good to have an existing network. In fact, an Anderson MBA could work against you in some ways if everyone in your company has SC MBA. They might look at you as a threat and create roadblocks instead of looking at you as a peer from their alma mater. Having said that, the ANderson name will carry better in Silicon Valley (but I have friends who graduated SC and are doing well there). Typically the better the school's reputation, the better opportunities you can get in your post MBA career. I would say apply to all and see where you get in. I will also say that as part time programs go, a 700 GMAT is nice and high, so you should have a good shot with a compelling essay and application package.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 23

Re: Part-time MBA programs [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2012, 15:19
Bryant,
Thanks for your reply.

I'm certainly going to apply to Haas and Anderson. Although, I think I might not be a competitive candidate because I’m part of the over-represented pool (Male, Software Engineer, ethnically Indian) applying to these schools.
As far as Leavey (Santa Clara) is concerned, I'm not sure how it's program is perceived in the the Silicon Valley in general.

Can you please shed more light on the Essay Editing services?
How many hours of essay-editing-consulting does a typical application take? Do you have an office in the Bay Area?

thanks,
-Rohit
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: Part-time MBA programs [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 07:41
Expert's post
Rohit-

Veritas offers hourly and essay only packages. Our home office is in Malibu, California, but we constultants are all over the country working as independent contractors. As for Santa Cara's reputation in the valley, you should do a litte digging to see if you can find SC alumni working in your target companies. Sometimes this reverse engineering is a good approach to triangulating in on target schools. You might even be able to track down someone who is an SC alumnus to talk to who works in silicon valley. If you can't find this on linked in, you might try simply contacting the SC admissions office and asking if there are any alumni in the valley willing to connect for an informational interview.

-bryant

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews