Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 20:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Peer Review

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Peer Review [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 21:31
Hello, I am thinking about applying to business school within the next year, and would like ideas to make myself a little bit more competitive. Thanks to HTale for the format!

Demographics: 25-year old male Asian-American (Vietnam-born)
Academics: 3.7 GPA from a national state university; Psychology and Economics double major
GMAT: 680 on two attempts, same split (Q43 64% / V40 89%)
Experience: I have worked for a large US-based financial services firm for the last ~3 years. I will have ~4 years of experience when I apply.
1. Financial Analyst: Product Management and Marketing divisions, corporate finance, corporate investment allocation (2 years)
2. Business Analyst: Internal Management Consulting, projects span from general management to company restructures (plan is 2 years)

EC's
Due to extenuating family situations I have been very busy for the last 2-3 years and lack extracurriculars. How should I address this?

My Aim
Currently contemplating two career paths: 1) to continue management consulting or 2) to focus on product development for financial service firms.

Unsure if this is the "never say this" rule, but I also really want to prove to myself that I can accomplish things I dedicate my time to. I had a very bumpy ride during my formative years!

School preferences:
1. Stanford - small classes and a more personal experience were severely lacking at my state school
2. MIT - local, mitigate costs
3. Booth - interesting program structure
4. Kellogg - I work with many Kellogg people and they are all very personable people; I can't say anything bad about it!
5. INSEAD - very unique program, 1 year
6. Columbia - "local", big city feel

At this point my GMAT can use improvement; my second GMAT score is a direct result of working for 18 hours on a work-related project prior to the test. I will be traveling/working extensively for the next 2 months and am unsure if I can truly commit to learning the new integrated reasoning AND improving my quant score.

Is there anything that can be done to make me stand out? Thanks in advance for the help!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Detail: MBA admissions help
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2000
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: Peer Review [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 04:14
Hi Asianguy1987,
You have an impressive background and you sound like a hard worker. No matter where you end up, those traits will carry you farther than any degree will.

You have set forth an ambitious list of schools. If you're already working as a mgmt consultant, chances are good it's not worth going to b school unless you can get into a top 10.

my comments are as follows:
- GMAT score for your demo is not great. it's not horrible, but if you compare yourself to the average at Stanford (top of your list), it's going to be tough as you'll be judged against other asian american males who come from mngt consulting (who are also the ones with the highest GMAT scores).
- degree sounds decent and your GPA is not a concern. not sure where you went to college, but if it's nationally recognized and within the top 50 or so, you should be ok here.
- career progress and focus are not bad. it's very realistic and you will not be a resource drain for the career office wherever you go. your real challenge here is demonstrating a higher level of ambition. and if you decide to go after prod mgmt, you'll need to be super clear on why and how.
- your lack of ECs is concerning. you'll need to address why there's a gap here. EC's are usually the proxy the adcom uses to gage your leadership ability. at your age, you will not have had a ton of opptys to showcase your leadership skills and style. you'll need to come up with essays and concrete examples of displaying leadership.

to me, you're a stretch at a place like S, W or H. You're on the border at Kellogg, and likely a viable candd at a *slightly* lower tier like UVA or Duke. If i were you, i'd spread out my school choices a little bit.

hope that's helpful
-james young

http://www.TheFirstRead.com
Former Kellogg adcom member, offering a new approach to MBA Admissions Consulting.

Re: Peer Review   [#permalink] 04 Jun 2012, 04:14