Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 01:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Permutations - Order Matters

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 12-16-2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [5] , given: 2

Permutations - Order Matters [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2009, 11:17
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I was struggling with when to use the permutation formula and when to use the combination formula in various problems. The definitions of permutations and combinations are are sometimes not clear to beginners. The easiest way that I have found to use the permutation formula is when the question states that order matters. Looking for key words in the sentence like:
*Rank
*Arrange
*Place
*Chose
*Pick
and many others signify that order matters. If order matters then use the permutation formula.

Examples:

*In how many ways can 8 CD’s be arranged on a shelf?

*If a softball league has 10 teams, how many different end of the season rankings are possible? (Assume no ties).

*How many different arrangements can be made using two of the letters of the word TEXAS if no letter is to be used more than once?

* A teacher has 15 students and 5 are to be chosen to give demonstrations. How many different ways can the teacher choose the demonstrators given the following conditions.

*In how many ways can a sorority of 20 members select a president, vice president and treasury, assuming that the same person cannot hold more than one office.

All of these questions are answered using the permutation formula: nPr=\frac{n!}{(n-r)!}

This is something that has helped me, hopefully it helps others.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2326

Kudos [?]: 9474 [0], given: 3703

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Permutations - Order Matters [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2009, 15:06
Expert's post
Thanks!
I added your post to Walker's Sticky: combination-and-probability-references-56486.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton, HBS, Stanford
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [3] , given: 12

Re: Permutations - Order Matters [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2009, 18:34
This post received
KUDOS
I3igDmsu wrote:
* A teacher has 15 students and 5 are to be chosen to give demonstrations. How many different ways can the teacher choose the demonstrators given the following conditions.

I think that in this example order doesn't matter. Could somebody prove/reject, pls

Thanks in advance.

KUDOS if you find it helpful ;)

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton West eMBA, Haas EW, Haas eMBA

Kudos [?]: 6 [3] , given: 4

Re: Permutations - Order Matters [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2010, 09:06
This post received
KUDOS
My 2 cents is that this forum is a fantastic way to find resources and hone skills and an awful way to try to gander basic concepts from others' posts. I blundered around not really understanding Permutations and such until reading this link (which certainly came from someone in here who I would give credit to if I could)

http://www.themathpage.com/aPreCalc/per ... ions-2.htm
CEO
CEO
Followers: 208

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Permutations - Order Matters [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2013, 16:47
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Permutations - Order Matters [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2013, 05:21
Vyacheslav wrote:
I3igDmsu wrote:

I think that in this example order doesn't matter. Could somebody prove/reject, pls

Thanks in advance.

yes order has no work... only combination is req..
Re: Permutations - Order Matters   [#permalink] 07 Dec 2013, 05:21