Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 09:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please advice [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 21:03
Hi,

My name is Martin and I'm from Argentina. I'm 28 years old and planning to apply on second round to start my MBA on september 2012.

I have a degree in Communication Science and I've got a 710 in gmat (Q48 V39).

Professional background: I've worked 10 months as a trainee in Loreal and then decided to get involved in my family's business , a construction and real estate developments company (actually is a group of companies) with more than 35 of history. This is my third year and I'm now the Marketing Director.
Since I got involved, the group grew in an amazing way, with 2 new organizations that were born and one more that will be launched in a few weeks. This last company will develop the first Hilton Gardenn Inn of my country and aims to start another 4 in the next year.
After the MBA, I'm planning to come back to my country to continue developing my business.

Extracurricular: I have played rugby since I was 10. I have represented my country (and my state) in the under 21 years old National Rugby Team. I still play in the most competitive rugby league of Argentina.

My dream is to be accepted at Harvard or Stanford, and I'm planning to apply to Chicago, MIT and Berkeley as well. How do you see my chances? Is it true that HBS and Stanford rarely admit students that are not coming from huge well known companies?

I appreciate your help

Regards

Martin
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 195

Re: Please advice [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 01:58
Expert's post
Hi Martin:

Thanks for posting and I appreciate the commentary you added around your profile. The information you provided is quite extensive and really helped me know more about you as a person, as well is professional. I applaud that kind of outreach to me. Nice work.

First off, what you have heard about Harvard and Stanford is simply not true. The only reason these schools care about work experience (or as an extension, what company you come from) is so that they know what they are getting, that you have logical goals based on your work experience, and that you will be able to get a job when viewed by a recruiter. However, admissions committees know that they can find the information they need to satisfy these variables by reading more about you and your background -- both professional and personal. So while working for McKinsey or Goldman Sachs is a "known quantity" for an admissions committee, it will not guarantee you would mission and it certainly will not give you an advantage over someone who articulates their case more clearly. Remember, Goldman Sachs is not applying for business school, or rather the individual applicant. so all you have to remember is to clearly articulate and explain the nature of this year. They will understand what you do, just try to explain it like you are talking to a five-year-old.

based on what I see here -- that is the professional and personal mix you possess -- I believe that you will be competitive at a top business school. Of course I cannot really narrow it down and say that you will be competitive at HBS or Stanford, because schools are very different, but what I can say is that you should be able to get into a top 10 program. Your GMAT score is higher than most of the scores I remember reviewing from applicants from Latin American countries. You should be able to get into Berkeley and Chicago without much for problem. I would look into other real estate development programs is safety schools. UCLA and UNC come to mind.

I would very much like to talk to you over the phone in the next week. If this sounds like something that you would be interested in, please e-mail me at MBA@amerasiaconsulting.com.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton