Hi, I'm a 32 year old female from Korea. It would be great if you can advise on my chances at MBA admissions.
1. Career: 9+ years of professional experience in various industries:
Marketing strategist at advertising agency (2yrs),
Marketing communications+Joint Business development manager at reputed Multi-national Software Co. (4.5 years ),
Founded Startup co. in Lifestyle related business - travel, dining, living products retail. (only lasted 6 months due to partners dispute),
Business development/Marketing/Strategic planning manager, at a small sized 3rd party logistics co. (2.5 yrs, owned by family, volunteered to fill in manager spot after Father's illness)
2. GMAT 710- overall 94% (Q 49, 90% V 36, 81%), previous scores 560, 680(taken in '99), TOEFL 290
3. Graduated with GPA 2.9, Sociology major at Korea's top university. Editor-in-chief, Department's bi-weekly magazine. Fund raising manager for local Amnesty International group.
4. Post-MBA: Work in VC, or consulting for some years after MBA, Found my own business afterwards.
Short comings: In terms of scores and GPA, it seems to be below average of the regular MBA candidate at top schools. My career experience seems to be a little too diverse.
My reasons to get an MBA are not too different from any other prospects -to get a solid basis on general management and finance, network with the future global leaders, and open doors to new opportunities.
Here are my questions.
1. Which schools are appropriate for my profile and post-MBA plan? Do I have chances at Tuck, INSEAD, Wharton or Kellogg? Should I consider applying to schools in the lower tier range?
2. Would I need a higher GMAT score to cover up for the low GPA?
3. Would adcoms raise an eyebrow for the gaps and great changes in industry during my career?
4. Am I too old ? Should I consider EMBA?