Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 06:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please evaluate [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2009, 01:27
Hi,

1) Sinagporean Chinese Male, 28.
2) GMAT (estimated to be around 620-40 currently, aiming to achieve 700)
3) Master of Science (Finance) from European University, 3.75 GPA (1st class honours). Completed in 2009 as a part-time course in Sgp.
4) Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting & Finance) from Australian University. Average Grade = 71% (for 24 modules). No GPA system.
5) Qualified Chartered Accountant since 2008.
6) Currently working in Singapore at a top Global Investment Bank (from Europe) as an Accountant. (3 years), promoted to AVP start of this year together with a role change. Current team is very flat with all AVPs and 1 VP. I am the most junior hence do not manage anyone in this new team. Other highlights include being seconded to NY for 3 months on an integration project/migration of role into Sgp (2008) and initiating an efficiency project as a project manager (2007-2008).
7) Worked in Australia (1 yr) previously as a Fund Accountant.
8) Served National Service (2.5 yrs).

9) Volunteering:
Part of my company volunteer group
Committee member of company social club
Committee member of Chartered Accounting Group in Singapore

10) Other activities
Team leader of company football team, won the inaugural competition.
Have been actively involved during Undergrad period, ie Founder of Entreprenuer's Club in my College, captain of College Tennis team.

11) Aiming to apply in R2 2009 for start in 2010 fall.

12) Targets:
Columbia
NYU
Chicago
LBS
INSEAD
Wharton
HBS

13) Post MBA goal
To be in strategy ie in a Consulting firm or Investment Bank.

I have not taken the GMAT yet, but I have taken a couple of CATs and mock tests, and I believe I am about the 620-640 range currently. I am working extremely hard to achieve at least a 700. GMAT scheduled for mid Sep 09.

Q1) Will a GMAT score in the range of 640-20, together with my current profile, make it highly impossible for me to apply to the schools that I am targeting? I am aiming for 700 but what is the absolute minimum to be competitive?

Q2) Any comments on my current profile will be much appreciated too. Too common? Weakness? Although I am promoted to AVP, I do not manage anyone now. Is not managing someone directly a poor point? Because had I choosed to stay in my previous team, I would have 1-2 direct reports.

Q3) What else can I do to improve my profile?

Q4) Is my target list realistic? Any other Uni I should consider?

thanks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 528 [0], given: 0

Re: Please evaluate [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2009, 06:58
To answer your questions:

(1) Yes, your chances are basically zero with that score given your profile. You realistically need a 700 or above.

(2) The biggest concern is that you risk coming across as one dimensional and narrow minded. From what you wrote, the adcom will wonder whether you can talk about anything outside of finance, because you've been all finance all the time (and even a business undergrad no less). This can be a huge concern as you will be working with your fellow classmates who are from a variety of professional backgrounds and seeking all kinds of post-MBA careers.

(3) Shoot for 700 on the GMAT. Beyond that, it's choosing a range of schools that are a better fit for you, and then doing the best you can on the applications. You are who you are and you can't change that in a matter of weeks - so all you can do is focus on the application itself (GMAT, essays, rec letters, interviews, etc).

(4) Assuming you do reasonably well on the GMAT (700+ ideally, 680+ minimum), Columbia, Chicago, INSEAD, and LBS are stretches - choose two or three from this list. NYU, Yale, Cornell are sweet spots that are likely better suited for you (and where you will have a better shot of getting in).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Please evaluate [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2009, 06:44
Hi Alex,

Thank you so much for your quick and straightforward reply.

1) I agree that with a low 600 GMAT score, my chances are close to zero. Thanks for reafirming that.

2) Say if I do get a 620-650, what are the schools that I should consider? I really want to get into strategy work.

thanks so much.

Last edited by s1ap on 15 Feb 2010, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 528 [0], given: 0

Re: Please evaluate [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2009, 12:36
I know that given you're in Singapore it'll be difficult to simply fly overseas to visit some of these b-schools (though some have done it) -- but I highly encourage you to go to MBA info sessions in Singapore that are organized by virtually all the top b-schools. Get a feel for the kinds of alums and current students that speak at these events. Get a feel for the kinds of attendees or prospective applicants. If you are willing to put your ego aside and be honest with yourself, you'll know which range of schools you'll fit in (and as for the kinds of folks who are at HBS or Wharton, you can always read my blog which goes into that, rather than repeat myself here). By interacting with more people who go to these schools, you'll be able to answer the questions you've asked here.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Please evaluate   [#permalink] 21 Jul 2009, 12:36