Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 01:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please Evaluate My Profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please Evaluate My Profile [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2011, 06:07
Hello

I am Aditya Sood from India. I have just completed my graduation in Engineering and will be joining TATA CONSULTANCY SERVICES in the R&D Division. I understand that my zero work experience is a big deterrent for admissions to top MBA schools. However, I would be really obliged if you could evaluate my profile for London Business School Masters In Management Program, which is for recent graduates. Also, please let me know if there are any MBA programs that accept recent graduates.

College GPA: 8.3 (out of 10)

Degree: B.Tech with Honors on Electronics and Communication

Work Ex: Will be joining R&D labs of TCS shortly

Extra-Currics: Class Representative of my ECE batch in college for 2 years
Founding Team Member of my college newsletter
Working for a start up organization Ekjaa (Not for profit) which mobilizes funds for cash strapped NGOs and MFIs
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: Please Evaluate My Profile [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2011, 15:59
Expert's post
Hi Aditya,

I've broken down MBA vs. Masters in this thread before (should be searchable), but the gist is this:

- An MBA program usually demands work experience because it is a midstream degree with a promise to recruiters that graduates will be more or less fully evolved and capable of leading teams. We've seen MBA programs get younger over the last decade, but mainly because the applicant pool is getting younger (some good reasons for this and some bad ones, such as pure impatience). By and large though, other than a handful of early entry programs (Texas has something called McCombs scholars, Stanford will take a college grad or two, Yale and HBS both have "bridge" programs, etc.), b-schools still want to see some dirt under your fingernails. They want life and work experience.

- Masters programs are focused more on giving you knowledge and honing that knowledge base. It doesn't come with the promise to recruiters that you are capable of anything specific, other than being knowledge about your subject. A masters in finance, for instant, is often fantastic training for an analyst type role where you need to be a beast in quant to really be a start. Then you can work your way up as a craftsman rather than a manager.

A masters in management is one that I'm not as familiar with. I guess it depends on your goals post-degree. What are you hoping to achieve with it? My worry is that if you are using it as an MBA Light, recruiters will see it that way. We work with a lot of candidates who go get a masters right after college and then five years later they are looking for an MBA to cross that elusive bridge.

My advice would be to just go out and live and work and see what you love, what you are good at, build a resume, etc. That said, if the masters program at LBS kicks butt and you can achieve what you want, then go for it. I'm sure you will need a strong GMAT or GRE, but I don't know the exact program requirements.

Let me know if I have missed the point here, but I got the sense that you were looking for validation of your path more than insight into your chances. Let me know if I took the dialogue in the right or wrong direction and then we can continue the discussion from there.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Please Evaluate My Profile [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2011, 22:05
Hello Paul

Thank you so much for the reply. Actually, apart from validation of the path, the other thing that has been on my mind is the difference between a Masters in Management and MBA degree. Your post has given me some very thoughtful insights. The thing is, that I am currently in the IT field, which I don't happen to like very much. What enthuses me is the world of finance. But I feel that I cannot make a switch to a finance job, say a financial consultant or analyst, until I gain some education in the field. I thought that obtaining a Masters In Management from a good institute like LBS or ESCP would open up doors for me and allow me to switch my career path. I don't wish to stay in the Information Technology field for long. I feel that a MiM degree will provide me both, financial world basics as well as general management concepts so that I can start out in the field of financial management. I thought that maybe some time down the line, I could then go in for a CFA to consolidate my position in the industry.

Please guide me regarding this line of action. Is it even reasonable to think of or if there is some other line I can think along, given my career preferences. Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks
Aditya Sood
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: Please Evaluate My Profile [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 01:43
Expert's post
Aditya,

In that case, I believe you might want to pursue an MFin. If finance is what you dig and you can show strong quantitative abilities, that is probably the easiest path away from IT. Otherwise, you will want to take the increasingly popular path of pursuing an MBA. I worry that another masters degree will be a half measure that just winds up costing you money and that you have to render useless anyway by later getting another degree. I'm not expert on this particular degree though, so that's just my best guess. Good luck to you!

-PL

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton