Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 16:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 3

Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 04:31
Would request you to provide some input and direction based upon the profile posted below-

Gender - Male
Nationality - Indian
Age - 28
GMAT - 700 (q49, v35)

Highest Qualification - B. E (Computer Science & Engineering) from a Tier2 college in India
Percentage in B.E. = 70%
12th - 81%
10th - 81%

Work Exp : 7 years

Currently working as Assistant Vice President for a small-sized service based company in India which caters to only Investment banks. Managing the account for an leading investment bank in USA and leading a team of around 10 people. The work on client side invloves development of a derivative trading platform but I mange the account for all the engagements beween this bank and my employer. Have worked with Swiss bank singapore team for an year.

Before that - I was able to convince one of the US based firms to start its operation in India. Though the operstion could last only for one and half year.

I can arrange one reco from CEO of my current employer and another from the CEO of the oraganization which started it's operation India.

NO extra curr.
NO community work.

Target schools -
INSEAD
Kellog
IE
IMD
LBS

Though, I have been working into finance domain for last 4 years, I wish to focus on Entrepreneurship during my MBA. I cant afford to join a 2-year MBA program.

Please suugest what options I have? Shall I re-take the GMAT?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 7

Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 22:49
If you are targeting entrepreneurship as a choice - nothing wrong about it. But to make the story credible, it has to be personalized and you should demonstrate your passion for it. One way it can be done is for you to cite the entrepreneurial nature of work environment in your job and how you have loved it and done things, taking ownership. Convincing a company to set shop in India - that sounds interesting and can play its part in explaining your entrepreneurial instincts. However, it is necessary to know here if you were also involved in the operations. This would be very relevant experience (even if it bombed- you would still have some take away).

As a note of caution, many people when they talk about entrepreneurship in their career goals essays tend to be fuzzy and do not give convincing answers. This is something that you should avoid by giving some depth to your goals and establishing the feasibility of your plans.

I don't suggest you should retake the GMAT given that you have a decent score, and you might as well put in all your efforts towards writing outstanding applications. 5-6 b-schools on the list will pretty much take up all you time.

You may also just want to add Oxford -Said Business School to your list because of its strong entrepreneurial focus.

Do reach out to us if you need further help. :)

Namita,
www.mbadecoder.com

Namita Garg
http://www.mbadecoder.com
contact@mbadecoder.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2012, 07:10
Hi Ellipse,

In your essays, you'd need to make your entrepreneurial plans credible. To do this, you'd need to address issues such as: How would you be leveraging your experience in finance and background in engineering/computer science? How would you demonstrate your passion or interest in entrepreneurship? How much thought and detail have you put into your entrepreneurial plans?

You already have a good GMAT score but many applicants with your profile score well too - your decision on whether to retake it would need to be considered in light of how much time you have to focus on your essays.

Good luck!
Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 6

Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 01:40
Ellipse wrote:
Would request you to provide some input and direction based upon the profile posted below-

Gender - Male
Nationality - Indian
Age - 28
GMAT - 700 (q49, v35)

Highest Qualification - B. E (Computer Science & Engineering) from a Tier2 college in India
Percentage in B.E. = 70%
12th - 81%
10th - 81%

Work Exp : 7 years

Currently working as Assistant Vice President for a small-sized service based company in India which caters to only Investment banks. Managing the account for an leading investment bank in USA and leading a team of around 10 people. The work on client side invloves development of a derivative trading platform but I mange the account for all the engagements beween this bank and my employer. Have worked with Swiss bank singapore team for an year.

Before that - I was able to convince one of the US based firms to start its operation in India. Though the operstion could last only for one and half year.

I can arrange one reco from CEO of my current employer and another from the CEO of the oraganization which started it's operation India.

NO extra curr.
NO community work.

Target schools -
INSEAD
Kellog
IE
IMD
LBS

Though, I have been working into finance domain for last 4 years, I wish to focus on Entrepreneurship during my MBA. I cant afford to join a 2-year MBA program.

Please suugest what options I have? Shall I re-take the GMAT?

Hi Ellipse,

You have a good GMAT Score and a decent profile.

the list of B-School you have mentioned are good and you stand a fair chances of getting admit in those B-Schools as the GMAT Score of INSEAD, IMD LBS, Kellogg and IE fall in between 675-710. As per your GMAT Score i would also suggest you to apply in Duke, Ross Michigan and Darden as theses B-Schools are among the top US B Schools where you can apply. There are many more but the mentioned list comprises of a few top ones in the US that you should definitely target. It is highly advisable in your case to focus on your application evaluation essays. This is where you can demonstrate your leadership qualities, achievements, professional vision and other abilities. A well presented and perfectly written essay is absolutely critical to make a strong case for yourself during the final interview.

The next step for you is to focus more on your application essays & recommendations for these Business Schools.

Hence it would be strongly advisable to seek assistance from professional consultants for guidance on preparing a good letters of recommendations and get your essays/scholarship essays evaluated before sending it out along with your application.

Please visit http://www.general-ed.com/MBA-essay-analysis to see more about online Essay Evaluation and http://www.general-ed.com/mba-counseling & http://www.general-ed.com/mba-interview-preparation to see how General Ed can help you with MBA counselling and interview preparation.

Also visithttp://www.general-ed.com/b-school-selection-process , this can help you to select the business school as per your requirement and profile and visit http://www.general-ed.com/chances-of-bschool here you can find your chances of getting admit in a business school chosen by you.

If you happen to be based either in Delhi, Mumbai or Bangalore, you can attend a MBA workshop by Directors of Admissions ISB along with alumnus of various global B-Schools during the dates mentioned in this links http://www.general-ed.com/workshops-and-seminars

Feel free to post any other query or concern that you might have.

Regards
Neha Singh
http://www.general-ed.com/

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Re: Please evaluate my profile   [#permalink] 19 Oct 2012, 01:40