Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 22:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please, evaluate my profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 45

Please, evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 21:59
Hi! Please evaluate my profile...

I'm 28, Russian, Male

1. My full-time work experience is about 5.5 years. The whole time I have been working in Russia's one of the largest brokerage service compaines. I have started from position of analyst then have been promoted to senior analyst. After 2 years of analysing and writing researches I moved to the sales department on position that was called "personal broker" or Equity Sales if consider parallels with usual international definitions. The main duties are analizing market, constructing ideas and recommending these ideas to the clients. It took me three years - the shortest period of time possible - to earn the maximum grade (3th) on this position.

2. GMAT is the main reason of this topic creation. I passed the GMAT in sept 2012 first time and scored 700 (Q50, V34) and 3.0 AWA. I was not quite satisfied with V34 and AWA 3.0 and decided to get ready better. Today (11.03.2013) I have passed the GMAT one more time, but scored 710 with Q51 and V33 only. V33 is 67% and V34 is 69%. I'm going to apply INSEAD, but have read on their website that they demand 70% on each section of GMAT. What do you think about it? What about Stanford, Columbia, LSE and MIT?

3. I have graduated from Maths Department of Novosibirsk State University, 10th in rating of the best institutes of higher education in Russia. My average grade is 4.68 from 5 possible.

4. I engage in sport: play squash (actually after only one year playing I have become the best squash player in my city), attend martial arts, go to the gym.

5. I have no certificates (CFA etc).

6. My target programs:
full-time MBA in
a) INSEAD
b) Stanford
c) LSE

7. INSEAD R2 Jan 2014, Stanford R1 2014, LSE R1 2014

8. First 2 years after MBA I plan to work in consulting, specializing in power industry, then to open my own company that will build sun- and windpower plants. I am one of the patentholders of recently invented power plant that produces sun and wind energy efficiently.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 490 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please, evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 12:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Your profile seems quite strong overall, although the first piece of advice I would give you is to expand your school list to five six schools minimum. I mean if you are thinking about LSE and INSEAD, I'd say there are at least another 10 schools in the US that offer similar prestige, so I would keep my options open. (Haas would be notably appealing given your goals)

Now, to the GMAT issue. A 710 is a very very good score, and good enough for you to get into any school. That having been said, yes it is true that a somewhat higher GMAT can look better. The question is whether it is worth the time and the effort for you specifically. And to figure that out you need to be honest about your potential for the GMAT. If 710/720 is about the high point for you, it's not worth it. You have a score that is good enough to get you in anywhere, and maybe it is time for you to work on the other aspects of your profile. If, however you feel you can get a 740+ then maybe it IS worth it for you.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: Please, evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 22:20
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Your profile seems quite strong overall, although the first piece of advice I would give you is to expand your school list to five six schools minimum. I mean if you are thinking about LSE and INSEAD, I'd say there are at least another 10 schools in the US that offer similar prestige, so I would keep my options open. (Haas would be notably appealing given your goals)

Now, to the GMAT issue. A 710 is a very very good score, and good enough for you to get into any school. That having been said, yes it is true that a somewhat higher GMAT can look better. The question is whether it is worth the time and the effort for you specifically. And to figure that out you need to be honest about your potential for the GMAT. If 710/720 is about the high point for you, it's not worth it. You have a score that is good enough to get you in anywhere, and maybe it is time for you to work on the other aspects of your profile. If, however you feel you can get a 740+ then maybe it IS worth it for you.

Thank you very much for your answer, JonAdmissionado!
I feel that I can get 740+... Moreover, I had been thinking about smth like 740-750 (Q51,V38-40) untill saw my unofficial score on the monitor... Think, I was knocked out by SC... It was absolutely different from all the questions I saw before as exercises. So, I'm going to learn it better and try once more in few weeks! Thank you!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please, evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 04:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
You got it!
Good luck on your retake, and anyhow, you have nothing to lose, since you have plenty of time and guaranteed excellent score already.

Drop us a line when you get your new score.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Please, evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 10:01
Sure, Jon! Thanks for your support:)
Intern
Intern

Re: Please, evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 04:33
JonAdmissionado wrote:
You got it!
Good luck on your retake, and anyhow, you have nothing to lose, since you have plenty of time and guaranteed excellent score already.

Drop us a line when you get your new score.

I have scored only 680 (Q50,V31) on my retake... moreover, I absolutely have no idea why provided that I was more ready to score at least V35 (to be honest, figured on 40) than ever before :) Q50 seems also strange, because I was sure in almost every problem and checked the answer in every :)

What do you think? Do these new scores somehow harm my profile?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please, evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 04:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Aw shucks!!!
No don't worry about it at all. You gave it your shot, and you have your amazing score already. Now it's time to do ONE thing:

Forget about the GMAT

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Please, evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 22:16
Aaaa :))) Thx, Jon! You made me laugh :)
Expert Post
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please, evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2013, 05:49
Expert's post
Well, I'm on this forum so much I gotta have fun too...
:)

And thanks for all the Kudos dude! It's a pleasure to help you out.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com