Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 23:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 29 May 2013, 22:58
Can you please evaluate my profile and if possible give me some school suggestions. I have shortlisted a few colleges though I am not too sure about them.

Country of Citizenship : India

GMAT: Yet to take but I can definitely crack 680+

Work Experience:
- 1 year in IBM as an Associate Systems Engineer
- 2 major internship stints with a leading steel giant and a major consulting firm

Education:
- B.Tech from NIT Rourkela in Mining Engineering (One of the premier Institutes of India CGPA - 8.64 on a scale of 10)
- Currently pursuing MBA from a prestigious B-school of India. I want to do a 1 year MBA that would accelerate my career. I know that I lack in work experience and would like to know what I can do after you go through my entire profile.

Extra-Curricular/Community Service:
Members of clubs and committees in my current MBA.
Member of editorial magazine during undergrad.
Member of entrepreneurship cell during undergrad.
Class Representative during undergrad.
Have won a number of awards in quizzes
Paper presentation winner at a premier college of India
Organized a TEDx community event in my current b-school

MBA long term goal:
I want to enter into management consulting with a top firm.

Factors important to me...
- Looking to join a 1 year program
- School ranking and reputation.
- Well "networked" schools with good placement cells.

Schools shortlisted
-Said
-Kellogs
-Judge ( but i believe they need 3 years of work experience)
-IE

Please advise on any other colleges that you have in mind. I plan to join by 2015.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [1] , given: 30

Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 23:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
First thing I would tell you: sloooooooooow down.

You have plenty of good stuff in your profile, but it is way way too early for you to think of applying this year, or next even. Applying in 2015 to begin in 2016 would be about right. And without your experience and without your GMAT it is way too early to even try and evaluate where you might get in, and anyone who gives you an evaluation at this point is leading you wrong.

So instead the question you should be asking yourself is: what can I DO over the next 2-3 years in order to have an amazing profile????
so:
1. Get promoted - moving up fast and being the best is the only way to get into top schools
2. Take leadership positions, in and out of work - This is very very very useful
3. Take opportunities abroad (seek them out) - As an indian applicant, it will be VERY helpful if you have international experience.
4. Make sure you have one good solid volunteer experience on your resume from now until application - ideally somewhere where you can have responsibility with time (best - managerial responsibility)
5. Be PRO-ACTIVE: Don't wait for anyone my friend... DO!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!