Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 05:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2005, 06:54
Hi Scott and Omari,
I just read your book, and was very pleasantly surprised to see you on the forum - thank you for taking the time to help us all out!

Please evaluate my profile with regard to the information below:

Demographic: 23, Female, International applicant

Academic:
GMAT (1 attempt) - 690 (Q 79%, V 91%)
Pre-MBA coursework - (Marketing and Advertising ) - University of Iowa - GPA 4.0/4.0 - Part-time
BBA (Majors: Finance, Accounting and International Business) -
IU, Bloomington - GPA 3.5/4.0 (Dean's List) -May 2003

Professional:
Credit Analyst at leading bank outside US (just started)
Senior Analyst (promoted after a year) at Fortune 500 multi-national company in US (June 03-Aug 05)
HR Associate and Auditor - Big 4 Accounting firm (Summer intern, 02)
Staff Accountant - International shipping company (Summer intern, 01)

Extra-curricular:
Brown belt in Karate
Working on Arabic and French
Published essays and poetry (English/Hindi), Awards in essay-writing (English)
Expert in cooking

Community Service:
Co-chair, Company Diversity Committee
Co-Lead, Employee Recognition Committee
Volunteer Recruiter/Interviewer at alma mater
Volunteer at pet shelter
Assisted in high school charity project

Post-MBA Goals:
Equity Research Analyst
I intend to start MBA in Fall 2006, by when I would have had 3 solid years of analytical work experience. I have always been interested in analyzing the stock market, and hope to synergize my interest in the field, abilities of communication/analysis and background (professional/academic) in Finance.

I briefly entertained thoughts of going into Brand Management (hence the Pre-MBA coursework!), but had to search for an alternative career path on learning that not many US FMCG companies sponsor work permits for international applicants.

Additional info:
Moved outside US to gain international exposure and spend time with family. Felt I would grow professionally by working in different positions in different industries in two very diverse countries.

Target schools:
NYU
CBS
Chicago
IU, Bloomington
Cornell
Rutgers

Based on the information above, how would you assess my chances, specifically at NYU? Do I need to retake the GMAT? Is my record of Commmunity Service sufficient?

Thanks for your help!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2005, 18:13
Expert's post
I think that you actually have a very competitive profile! Your GMAT score is very good, your GPA is solid, and I like your career focus. Even betterm you have a great track record of community involvement and your long list of hobbies. I don't see any obvious weaknesses!

I would think that you'd have a very good chance of getting into NYU. They will like all of the thing that I mentioned above. In fact, I think that you should also take a shot at Columbia and/or Wharton. Based on what you posted here, I think you have a strong profile.

My one piece of advice: You have a lot of interesting things to talk about (Karate, cooking, poetry)... Be sure to talk about your passion for these things. They'll help you stand out!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2005, 23:39
HI Scott,
Thanks for the encouraging reply!

Was curious about a few more things:
As I mentioned, I changed jobs recently to get experience in a different country/industry and spend some time with family. When I apply, I will have been in the new job for just about a month - do I need to explain my decision to apply?

Should my resume include my new position details in spite of the short time spent working there?

Is the GMAT threshold higher for int'l students - as in, if the published 80% range is 750-650, and an int'l student scores 690, is the score viewed the same way as for a US citizen?

Thanks again!
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2005, 04:25
Expert's post
Yes, I would mention the new position and why you changed jobs. Of course, the challenge will be to explain why you did that, and make that that this story is consistent with your reasons for wanting to go to b-school. I would include it on the resume.

Re: the GMAT, I don't think this is the case. A 690 is good enough to get anyone in. Remember that the GMAT is just one of the MANY things that adcomms will look at.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews