Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 03:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 05 May 2006, 01:00
Country of Citizenship : India

Work experience :

1. Working with Fidelity Investments as Tech. Analyst for 1.5 years - Module lead, handling team of 6 ppl, handling JPMorgan financial products module, most sensitive/critical of Fidelity projects ($400B project). - 1 promotion -- Best Employee award

2. Worked with HCL (Top 5 Indian IT Companies as Software Engg) for 1.5 years. - >> I promotion,
Role : Module lead, handled 2 modules, led a team of 4 people, interacted with Calif. based clients,
gave Product Demo, Voice - Over for Product Technical briefing which was shipped worldwide along
with software CD. Rave reviews from top ranks.

Academics :
1. Post Graduate :- Master in Comp. Applications - 82% -- ranked 3/60. -
Received Directors scholarship for final year. -
Best Student' 2002-03

2. UnderGraduate :-
Bachelor in Zoology - 60 % ---low GPA

3. High School :- 88% - Scholarship Holder -ranked 3/176

Extra Curricular:
School level -:
1.Sports Captain, Member-School Disciplinary Comm.
2.Best Athlete ' 1996
3.Captain - Interzonal Badminton Team, Gold at Zonal Badminton Championships
4.Prizes @ InterSchool debates

Undergraduate level :- 1. Member -WWF :
i.Conducted street plays, road shows to generate awareness for wildlife
ii.Organised entomology field trips for College

2.Secretary - Life Sciences Club
i. organising zoology seminars

Postgraduate level :-
1.Gen. Secretary- Students Council :
i.organising IT workshops, national seminars & lectures, persuading/inviting business leaders to speak.
ii.Pioneneered University Relation Tie-up programme with IBM to impart training on IBM Products.

2.President - Placement Cell :
i.Conducting corporate outreach programmes,
ii.Single handedly created Flash presentation for Institute as a brand promotion initiative to get companies to campus for hiring . Presentation still used by college.

Community Service :
Quote:
Co-Founder -
School for mentally disabled children
i.handling administration, infrastructure mgmt, fund raising, programme mgmt.
ii.media planner (designed website, pamphlets myself)

2.Postgraduate level - Member - Teaching slum children
3.Undergraduate level - Member - WWF, Teaching slum children
4. School level - Fund raising for HelpAge India

Enterpreneurship:
Quote:
Co-Founder :
a new startup Whitewater rafting company.
i.Certified river rafting guide.- CPR Expert
ii.Clientale includes British & French nationals
iii.Revenue : INR 1 million (in 6 months)

2. Advisor - Family Business - Industrial Catering (Turnover>INR 20 million)
i.Helping IT Infrastructure - Data/Market research for possible acquisitions - Getting new business,

ii.Media Planner- Brand promotion initiatives.

Achievements :

1. Black- Belt in Taekwondo- 2 Gold medals @ State Level Championships
2.Salsa Instructor - Founder of Salsa Club at present company.
3.Reiki Instructor - Founder of Reiki Club at present company
4.Tarot card reader
5.IBM Certifications

GMAT Score:
Yet to take. Has to be 730+

MBA goal:

Looking at Strategic Mgmt & Brand Mgmt. profiles post-MBA
Would want to get family & own business to next level leveraging knowledge, people contacts made during 2 years study!

Targeting top -10 colleges! (Harvard, Stanford, Wharton,Chicago, Columbia, INSEAD....)

I am sure I need to weave this thing well to come up with a 'wow' factor in my profile!!

Can you please evaluate my profile and if possible give me some school suggestions .?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

[#permalink] New post 06 May 2006, 05:56
Expert's post
Wow, you sure have a lot going on here! You surely know that being an Indian with an IT background puts you in a very crowded/competitive pool. But you have a ton of great experiences to write about in your application, so you should have a good chance of standing out. A couple of thoughts:

1) You'll want to briefly explain your low undergrad GPA somewhere in your app. Don't dwell on it, but explain what happened and how you improved from there.

2) You have so many experiences that the challenge will be to tie them all together into one application "story," which you said. What this will probably require is to leave out some of it and choose what to focus on. You understandably will want to tell them about all of your interesting experiences, but at some point you'll need to start choosing quality over quantity. Think about what you want them to really remember you by. And think about what supports your "Why an MBA?" story as well as what helps you stand out a bit.

In the U.S., also look at Kellogg, Michigan, and possibly MIT Sloan.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 07 May 2006, 20:13
hi

thanks for your generous & prompt evaluation:)

I have a couple of points to ponder over :

1. Why low undergrad GPA?
2. Why switching from Biology in undergrad to Computers in postgrad?

Once I have strong story to weave around these weaker points, I think I might do well.

How would you suggest to go about it?

Also, of all these credentials, do I need to submit transcripts to b-school.

How would they otherwise know that this is correct information which I am furnishing (not doubting on their calibre to do this..but still..!)

Do I need to submit these transcripts with my application ..or reference needs to be made in my essays...and interviews , if any?

What exceptional is required for elite b-schools like Wharton, Harvard or Stanford? I guess I have good mix of ingredients to make a stellar application recipe, but what else do i need to focus on now, keeping in mind; I would apply for 2008 session?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

[#permalink] New post 08 May 2006, 06:57
Expert's post
It's really hard for me to tell you how to weavei t all together without knowing you better. Anyway, that's your job! Don't rely on some consultant to do it for you. :-) Seriously, this will really need to come from you, because you're the one who really knows why you want an MBA.

No transcripts are needed for the extracurriculars and outside experiences. Just mention them in your essays and, where appropriate, have a reco come from someone who knows you through these activities.

In terms of what is required and what esle you can do, just keep looking for more ways to get involved and MAKE A POSITIVE IMPACT in the world around you, both on the job and outsise of it. That's one definition of leaderhip.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews