Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 20:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 16 May 2006, 12:27
Hi..
Could you please provide your insights.. I have been getting a lot of mixed responses and its very confusing!!!

Background: Born in small village in India. Moved to Nepal when I was a yr old. Did all my schooling in Nepal. I come from a very poor family and no one is educated so me completing high school was a big deal. (My dad’s studied the highest-8th grade). When I was starting my high school, dad started his own business and wanted me to be part of it. I helped him out for 2 yrs and then decided I need to study more. (I was a good student and my teachers were the one encouraged me to go to college). Now I wanted to get at least a college degree. Apart from working for my dad I used to work in small software firm in Nepal (ITNTI) as an administrative assistant. This is where I was introduced to computers and was fascinated by it. I decided I wanted to study further in computers but my family wanted me to look after the family business. I fought hard and when my dad didn’t give in, I pretty much got kicked out of the house. I got my visa, had saved enough money for my first semester and started my college. After leaving home I regretted leaving my family and understood their value. It was too late to go back but I started helping them from US. In my second yr. In college I went to China with my dad for a major expansion of his business. He has moved from selling on the streets with me to managing 6 stores and an office in China.

Education and Work Experience: I graduated with Computer Science (major) and Math minor from State University(Minnesota) GPA: 3.97 at age of 19. Got my internship at a big law firm and thus a full time job. I am 22 yrs old now and have been working in same company for 2 yrs and 3 months. I got promoted to Sr. Software Test Engineer from Software Test Eng this last Friday. It was a big achievement since to get to a senior level it takes you an average of 5 years. My leadership in different projects and excellent work-ethics resulted in my promotion..
By the time I apply (fall'07), I will have 3 and half yrs of work experience and will be 23 yrs old. Throughout the college I took 16-18 credits and worked 20 hrs a week. I have worked in various jobs from janitor (my first job) to Senior Student Supervisor at computer lab (supervised group of 10-12 students). I took my GMAT on April 10th and scored 660. 47 Q (82%) 35 V (76%) AWA (6.0) ..

Community Involvement: Apart from getting various academic scholarships in my college, I also was chosen for International Endowment scholarship. This scholarship is given to a selected group of students who demonstrate excellent academic performance and are very involved with community. I was the Secretary of International Student Association in my college (700 Int’l students) and the community RHA representative. Now I am involved in various other organizations in twin-cities(Minneapolis-St.Paul) area. I am Social Chair for Asian Heritage Employee Resource Group (twin cities), Fund Raising Chair (Network of Indian Professionals, ), and Point Person of Diversity Planning Committee (twin cities). To be honest I am not the typical quiet IT professional. I am a social bug, life of the party and all together have a very different kind of personality. I don’t think my current job suits my personality of sitting at one place and coding. I am the social activities coordinator for my current group :p

Why I want my MBA and why now?
Why now? I think I am ready to get an MBA. I know I am young but I have had good work experience. By the time I get into college I will have 3 and half yrs of solid work experience and I think it is time for me to move on to next journey in my life.

Why I want my MBA or what do I want from my MBA?

I want to do my MBA in International Business. In future there is going to be demand of workers/managers who are trained to work globally. As Microsoft/Dell/ Infosys are going global they would need managers who can cope and have understanding of various work environments. I having seen lot of the world and being able to speak 4 languages fluently see myself as a perfect fit for such positions. I want to be that bridge between American culture and Indian culture. Eventually I would like to start my own business in Nepal or may be expand my dad’s business and bring dad’s business to America.
In the long run I would like to open up schools to educate kids in Nepal. I think illiteracy is the biggest concern in Nepal and if Nepal were to get out of this crisis we would need to educate future generation.

Other activites/Sports: I was the captain of school cricket team. I play in the Minnesota Club Cricket league. I have been practicing tae-kwondo for over a year now and am a green belt. Also to make my application stronger I am planning to take some business class in local university. This semsester I took Macro Econ and am pretty sure of getting an A in class. I am planning on taking micro econ and a finance class in fall.

1. What are my chances at UCLA, Berkley, Duke, Ross, UNC and yes my dream school (Stanford).. You think I am aiming too high?? What other schools would you suggest??
2. Is 3 and half yrs of work experience on the lower side??
3. Do you think I should consider retaking my GMAT?
4. What schools do you think should fit best as safety schools?
5. What do you think is my biggest weakness?

Thanks a bunch in advance! Also can i be stereotyped as southasian/male/IT professional?? From my point of view I see myself miles and miles away from them but what do you think??!?

Success is my only option, failure is not -- Eminem

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 May 2006, 07:51
you guys didn't forget about me?? right??!??

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 19 May 2006, 18:46
Expert's post
Hello! Sorry to make you wait.

1) I'd say that your chances are decent at Duke and UCLA. Michigan and Haas will be a little harder for you. You have a shot at Stanford, but you will really need to stand out with some kind of "wow" in your application, which didn't immediately jump out at me in your post.

2) Yes, this is on the lower side of work experience. It won't keep you out necessarily, but remember that you really need to have a great answer to "Why an MBA NOW?" and must be able to really demonstrate the maturity dimension in your application. (We discuss the "maturity dimension" in our MBA admissions book.)

3) In general, we discourage applicants from focusing on the GMAT too much. But, since you have time, then you should consider retaking it and trying to score closer to 700 (more above).

4) Other schools like Tepper, Indiana, USC, and NYU (note that these aren't necessarily easy to get info, either) could be worth checking out. Also consider Vanderbilt or UT Austin.

5) I'd say that your low level of work experience is a weakness, as well as the risk that you'll have a hard time distinguishing yourself vs. other IT applicants. Definitely emphasize the things about you that make you an atypical IT professional!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2006, 14:18
thanks a ton guys.. I have some more questions but I will post them after I do some more research on some specific schools..

thanks again!