Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 16:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2009, 09:11
Hey hey,

I'm not actually planning to apply to b-school yet. I'm looking to flesh out my new-found career for a few more years. I'd really appreciate your opinions on a few things though:

1) Am I aiming too high (in terms of school selection - please see below)? What "safe" schools out there are good for a career in investment? I'm ok with US, Asia, or Euro schools.

2) On the flip side, what chances would I have to get into my "choice" schools if I applied this (or next) year?

3) I'm Asian. Would learning Mandarin help me get in? Hehehe.

You can see my profile below (I followed the template suggested).

1) Basic demographic info:

- Male, 24, Filipino

2) Educational Background:

- BS Engineering (Top 3 local university; 3.3+ GPA; honorable mention). I was in a drunken stupor about half the time though and my grades were much higher in my last three years than in my first two. I could (should) have done much better than 3.3.

- Currently taking an MS Finance course (part-time; local b-school; it's still early days but I've got a 4.000 GPA so far)

- GMAT: T: 780 (99); Q: 51 (98); V: 47 (99); haven't received my AWA's yet.

- I'm in the CFA program, currently studying for L3 after passing L1 and L2 within a few months of each other on the first try.

3) Work experience:

- Just started (6 months) with a job in financial and economic research for a top local bank - I've been looking to shift careers into investment since 2008 and am really obsessed with my current work. I'm actually planning on taking an MBA to advance my career in investment and not to shift careers, as many people seem to want to do.

- I spent a little over a (very intense) year in management consulting before my current job.

- I'll have over 3 years experience by the beginning of next school year.

4) Extracurriculars:

- Co-captain of my baseball team back in university, sports writer. I still play baseball today.

5) Short/Long term goals:

- I want to work in asset management or hedge funds. A very close second choice would be equity underwriting or M&A. I'm obsessed with NYC and I want to live and work (and study!!!) in the world's most important financial center.

6) Schools:

- My first choice for now would be Columbia. Aiming for the stars, I know. I'm also looking at Wharton, Booth, Stern, and HBS.

Please let me know what you think!

Thanks a lot!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2009, 09:37
investment?
Intern
Intern

Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2009, 09:44
Investment -> Ok let's just say finance. :lol:

For some reason I like the sound of investment better - Investment management, Investment banking...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2009, 09:53
1) Your list of schools are the ones that every competitive applicant considers. Getting into these schools is a bit of a crapshoot. Although, I don't think you're aiming too high, but keep in mind getting in will be competitive. Since you mentioned you're interested in finance I suggest you do some research on what schools are strong in the areas you'd like to concentrate in after bschool, before applying. Wharton, Chicago, Columbia all have pretty good finance programs.

2) Your GMAT scores are very good and your current job sounds challenging. I do think your GPA is on the lower end for HBS, which is about 3.6. The rest of the schools you listed all have avg GPAs around 3.4, so yours isn't that far from the mean. Although, your stats are fine, I think you might be at a disadvantage if you apply now because you've only had a 1.5 years of work experience, split between two places. I think you'll be in a much better position if you stay at your job for another year or two.

3) I don't think learning Mandarin will make a significant impact on the admissions board. If you're just learning for the hell of it, they'll just view it as an interest, that's it. If you're learning because you'd like to expand your career into Asia, I think the adcoms will make note of it bc you're showing dedication to your future career goals. Either way, I don't think it will make or break your app.
Re: Please evaluate my profile   [#permalink] 08 Dec 2009, 09:53