Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 03:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate profile.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please evaluate profile. [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2013, 10:06
Hi,

I am an Indian male aged 25 working in states as a Software Engineer and planning to do MBA in a related field. My profile is as follows:

Acads - Did my undergraduate in Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering from Mumbai University in 2008 followed by Masters in Telecommunications and Networking Engineering with more focus in computer science from an IVY league college here from 2009 to 2011. Undergrad GPA ~ 3.5, Masters GPA - 3.5

Work Experience - Worked for around 6 months in an IT services company in India from 2008/2009 in between completion of undergrad and coming to US for masters. After masters, started working in a reputed data storage company as a software engineer from mid 2011 to late 2012 (roughly 16 months) before shifting to a top Investment banking firm last year. Have been working there since 6 months now as an analyst developer.

Extracurriculars - Held position of Public Relation Officer during undergrad years 2006-2007 for IEEE tech fest event held in our college responsible for heading a team of people to get more participants for the tech fest. Also an active member of Yes!+, an art of living community.

MBA Goals - I plan to be in IT field and do an MBA as a mix of Operations, IT consulting and finance. I like being a software engineer but like being a manager more where i get to interact with people and work more on functional requirements and cost/time/resource challenges. I plan to give GMAT next year if i finalize on my mba plans and target of getting admitted in 2015 when i have more than 4.5 years work experience as a sw engineer.

Confusion/concerns - My main concern is how much chances do i have getting in top 10 colleges and how much helpful will it be in changing my career track from software engineer to a manager. MBA in US/UK costs insane and do not want to make a decision without weighting all my options thoroughly. Also my company also provides a part time mba program. Will doing that be better than a full time mba so i can still continue working?

Other Info - I am targeting a gmat score of more than 700 and am pretty good when it comes to communication skills. I also have 2 renowned IT certifications i.e. CCNA and SCJP and also planning to give CFA first round next year.

Thx
applicant1906
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 559 [0], given: 30

Re: Please evaluate profile. [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 06:48
Expert's post
Hey there 1906
(this feels a little orwellian calling you by a number :) )
Anyhow, first of all what I like about your profile, about its story, is that I am seeing constant progress.. from India to the US, moving on up. Its great that you want to move to management, and the most important thing is to keep on moving up until you apply. The Bschools want to see PROGRESS and as much and as fast as possible. I can't really give you an evaluation without a GMAT, but let's say that if you top a 700 you are on the right track. Other than that, your grades are excellent, so there's no reason why you should not be able to make Top 10 if you can tell your story in a compelling manner, and continue your progress at your workplace. You do have to ace that GMAt of course, and the higher the better.

Hope this helps.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!