Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 04:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
PLEASE HELP ME!!! [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2005, 11:13
I have now been studying seriously for the GMAT for about three months. All I can say is that I have been progressively worse. I maybe feel that way because the more I learn the more I realize I don't know. But I can't seem to be consistent. There are days where I am on fire, and on those days I am, but I can't seem to understand exactly what makes me do well, why I do well. My big thing now is sentence correction. I used to have a great intuitive feel for SC, (on Kaplan and Princeton Review tests I would get no more than 2 wrong) now I'm doing horribly. My math skills have been consistently getting worse, and I am chemist for God's sake! I just don't understand what my problem is specifically and what I should do to address them. If someone has gone through this and been able to get out of this rut PLEASE HELP ME!!! I wish it was s specific problem, I wish I knew exactly what the problem is, I really have no idea. I'm taking the GMAT on Feb 19th and would like to get a >700 score. Please tell me what my problem is and then maybe how I can solve it. PLEASE HELP!!!!!! :(

"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2005, 19:36
It often helps to set the test aside for a few days and let your mind clear.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2005, 06:09
Thanks for the reply Hjort. I put down my pen, pad and book yesterday to focus on my life outside of the GMAT (atleast what's remaining of it :-D ) I think I'll do that today as well and hit the GMAT hard over the weekend. Sorry for the desperate post, I think it is easy to get lost in what I like to call the "Passion of the GMAT". Getting whipped and flogged by it.......NO MORE!.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2005, 15:42
I know that everyone shoots for a score of 700 or higher, but I think that people need to just accept that not everyone gets a 700. In fact, a score of 700 is in the 93rd percentile. That means that only 7% of the people that take the GMAT get a 700. Don't feel bad if you're not one of them. Getting a 650 is still in the 85th percentile. If you can say that you're in the top 15% of something in the world, isn't that a pretty good showing? Just do your best on the exam, and before you look at your score, ask yourself if you did the best you can. Did you feel good taking the test, was your pacing good, did you remember all of the tricks you picked up while you studied? If you feel that you did the best you can, then just hope for the best when you wait for your score to pop up on the screen. Whether it's a 650 or a 750, be happy that you performed at your best level and concentrate on putting together a strong application. A great GMAT doesn't guarantee anything. My friend got dinged from all of his schools last year with a 770.

When I took the GMAT the first time, I didn't feel good about my performance. Before I looked at my score, I knew that I could do better because my timing was off on the math and I rushed through some things. I told myself that I would accept a 700, but if I was below 700 I would re-take it because I did not feel good during the exam. I ended up below 700 so I retook it a month later and broke the magic 700 barrier.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2005, 16:06
Thanks for the reply Anderson2007. You are right A LOT of people want that 700 score, and you are right, not everyone gets it. But it is easy for those of us who do get a 700 to say to those of who don't, "Well you have to be happy with your score when you get it, even if it is below a 700" You have your >700 score, relaxing is easy, and admitting to yourself that you did your best is easy. For those of us who don't have that score (yet) that is all we can see and all we desire. Getting a 650 and then admitting that we did our best only means to many of us that we admitted that we could do no better. And yes you are right the GMAT does not guarantee anyone a thing. But I also guarantee that your friends chances would have been a whole lot worse with a 650. I cannot admit to myself that all I am capable of is less than a 700, maybe I'm fooling myself, but I sure as hell bet that if it has to be through my blood. sweat or tears I'll try to do it. And then I'll put up a post that tells everyone to relax and take their score for what it's worth, but until then I don't have that luxury :-D

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2005, 19:22
greenandwise wrote:
Thanks for the reply Anderson2007. You are right A LOT of people want that 700 score, and you are right, not everyone gets it. But it is easy for those of us who do get a 700 to say to those of who don't, "Well you have to be happy with your score when you get it, even if it is below a 700" You have your >700 score, relaxing is easy, and admitting to yourself that you did your best is easy. For those of us who don't have that score (yet) that is all we can see and all we desire. Getting a 650 and then admitting that we did our best only means to many of us that we admitted that we could do no better. And yes you are right the GMAT does not guarantee anyone a thing. But I also guarantee that your friends chances would have been a whole lot worse with a 650. I cannot admit to myself that all I am capable of is less than a 700, maybe I'm fooling myself, but I sure as hell bet that if it has to be through my blood. sweat or tears I'll try to do it. And then I'll put up a post that tells everyone to relax and take their score for what it's worth, but until then I don't have that luxury :-D

Very well said. I think everyone who has gone through an undergrad degree has the intellectual capacity to do it provided that you put in the commensurate effort. First time I attempted it, I got 620. A year later, I got 650. After another year, I finally broke over the 700. As you can see, it took me a looong time and I believe to be just the average intelligence guy, no smarter than anyone else. Just believe that you can do it and REALLY pour in all your heart and soul and you will get what you want.

Best Regards,

Paul

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2005, 09:44
I wish you luck in your quest to get a 700. Just make sure you don't pour too much time into it when you could be out beefing up the other parts of your application with community service, volunteering, serving on boards, etc.
  [#permalink] 08 Feb 2005, 09:44