Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 15:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please rate my issue

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please rate my issue [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2010, 04:30
Hi,
I am going to take gmat in two weeks,and have just started working on the AWA section..please give your comments and the score too after going through my essay...

essay:
The desire of corporations to maximize profits creates conflict with the general welfare of the nation at large.

response:

Some people think that the corporations just aim at maximizing profits without considering the general welfare of the nation. However, others claim that corporations play a vital role in a nation’s development and welfare. This issue is a controversial one, but a closer examination reveals that organizations do want to increase their profits but this action does not create conflict with the nation’s welfare, rather, they provide a boon in a nation’s welfare and development.

One reason is that a nation’s development depends most on its both tangible and intangible assets. Thus, it can be clearly said that corporations, being one of the most important assets, play an indispensable role in a nation’s growth. They not only bring prosperity to an economy but also eradicate the root problems, like unemployment which is considered a gigantic barrier in a nation’s growth. For e.g., the IT organizations have created lot of job opportunities all over the world and simultaneously have become one of the most important factors in the economic development of a nation as a whole. Apart from benefiting a nation as a whole, they have influenced the lives of the people by giving them the exposure and a good standard of living.

Another reason is that corporations also help in the technical development of a nation. They have made the life of a common man very easy and simple with the help of their innovations and technologies. It would be weird to say that the organizations like research organizations aim solely to maximize their profits. With the introduction of the computers and other technologies, the world has become compact and very fast. Also, the productivity has increased overall. With the help of internet, we are able to connect with people within a fraction of seconds and can bring revenues by sitting at home only. Moreover, the organizations like defense one mainly aims at the general welfare of the nation.

One of the other reasons is that in addition to the technical and financial development, organizations play a crucial role in the social development. They help in setting up NGO’s and donate a lot in charity. For example, Warren Buffet, world’s second richest person and owner of the organization, Berkshire Hathaway, donated $31 billion to a charity. Moreover, the corporations help in the social development by setting up schools, colleges. Therefore, it is easily seen form the preceding paragraphs that corporations help in the overall development of a nation.

In summary, while there are arguments to be made for both sides of the issue, it is clear that organizations are one of the most important factors that contribute in social, technical and financial growth and welfare of a nation as a whole. Certainly, the organizations want to maximize their profits but their action proves beneficial to a nation. Hence, in my view, the organizations goals of maximizing profits do not conflict with the welfare of a nation as a whole.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Please rate my issue   [#permalink] 22 Jun 2010, 04:30