Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 05:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please recommend schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please recommend schools [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2005, 23:01
Hello,

Please evaluate and comment on the following:

Profile:

25 year old Canadian Male
GMAT SCORE- 690 (Q49, V34) 1st attempt
University average- 68% (This is low because I worked 30 hours a week during university to pay my way through school).
Degree- Bachelor of Engineering from University of Saskatchewan (Engineering program is ranked 8th in Canada),

Work Experience:
-Worked in Saskatchewan for a large Canadian power generating company as a power plant engineer for 3 years.
-I have been employed in Hawaii for the past year as a power plant engineer. My main duties have been project management(ie design, purchasing, evaluating projects and proposals).
-At current job I supervise junior engineers, and have recently been picked to be the second in charge of a new power plant installation(supervising senior engineers, reviewing proposal, overseeing design consultants, assisting in permiting, legal stuff), $75 million dollar project. After working for the company for 5 months I was given an award from the VP for excellence in teamwork.
Currently in US - TN visa

Community service:
-Alot of activities during university.
-Volunteer for various United Way events (6-10 events/year)
-Volunteer monthly at local art academy

Extracurricular activities:
-Work out at gym 5 times a week. Surf 2+ times a week, member of various online groups, learning Japanese, member of various engineering societies
-Eligible for professional engineering license in Saskatchewan(CANADA)
-Will be taking Hawaii(USA) professional engineering license in April 06.

Recommendations:
Expecting good recommendations current employer and former coworkers.

MBA start date: Fall 2006

I would like your comments on the following:

1) What schools do you recommend? I would like to get into Harvard, but not sure I have the qualifications.
2) When is the best time to apply 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round
3) Does my being a Canadian help or hurt my chances?
4) Do you have any suggestions to increase my chances at Harvard?

I appreciate you taking the time to review this
Thank you,
Cory
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2005, 18:49
Not knowing what your career goals are makes it difficult for me to recommend schools.

1st or 2nd round are absolutely the best times to apply. If you wait until 3rd round, most of the seats will be taken. Do not apply in the third round. 1st and 2nd are essentially equivalent.

Being Canadian has no implication on acceptance (positive or negative). There are a number of Canadians accepted to HBS and othe rUS schools every year.

I didn't see a bunch of leadership experiences in what you mentioned.. The supervisory role is good, but be aware of your leadership style and how you're having an overall positive impact on the organization.

Also, with a low GPA, you'll most likely need a better than average GMAT score.

http://www.mbagameplan.com

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2005, 00:51
I am thinking of applying to NYU, Columbia, and MIT. As my profile stands do you think I have a shot at these schools?

Also, would taking an online/distance learning course be helpful in mitigating the effects of my low GPA? If so do you have any online schools that you recommend?

Thank you,
Cory
CIO
CIO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2005, 04:47
Yes you have a "shot" at those schools, but again with your low GPA you'll probably need a better than average GMAT score for those schools.

I don't recommend online courses to mitigate low GPA. I think b-schools tend to respect classroom courses a lot more.

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2005, 17:13
I looked into my university's grading system a bit more and found that my GPA converts to ~2.6 out of 4.0. With this as my GPA do you think NYU would be a "safe school".

I appreciate your advice,
Cory
CIO
CIO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2005, 17:24
No. Stern's mean GMAT is 700 and it's mean GPA is 3.4, so it's closer to a stretch than a safety.