Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 21:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PMP Certification Useful?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

PMP Certification Useful? [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2009, 09:57
I'm not sure what forum to place this in....but now that I have finished studying for the GMAT and have a pretty good idea what MBA program I am heading to in the fall, I am considering studying for the PMP certification exam.

Has anyone found this certification useful pre or post MBA? In consulting, the industry I am currently in, I know people look for it. I am interested if anyone knows of it outside that consulting.

Thanks.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

Re: PMP Certification Useful? [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2009, 11:29
Yeah I have heard about this program. PMP certification was used be very valuable but now a days there are many pmp certified people around. So you can imagine. These kind of certificates can be helpful if you are planning to go in the consulting sector post MBA. I heard Mckingsey recommends IIBA certifications for their junior staff.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 31

Re: PMP Certification Useful? [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2009, 12:49
A lot of consultants I work with in the healthcare IT sector have the PMP certificates. I haven't worked with many that have both an MBA and a certificate - it seems to be one or the other, usually just the certificate.
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 78606

CAT Tests
Re: PMP Certification Useful? [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2009, 14:00
People look for it in consulting, and the government has been including the PMP as a qualification on many of their major RFPs.

I personally am not a fan of the PMP certification. Probably because most people I know who have PMPs don't practice good project management so it makes me think twice about the purpose of the certification. I haven't gotten it because I'm not convinced it really means anything. If I wasn't getting an MBA I would have gotten one.
Director
Director

Re: PMP Certification Useful? [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2009, 14:04
I could prob get my company to pay for it before I leave, so I'm thinking why not. Just another thing to add to my resume.

CAT Tests
Re: PMP Certification Useful? [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2009, 14:17
Oh then definitely get it. If I got it I'd have to pay it back, which is why I'm not considering it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

Re: PMP Certification Useful? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 11:44
My take on the PMP - is we have a ton of them around here. So obviously we hire people with the certification. The thing I notice the most about the certification is that few of these people ever become "management" around here, they just become a senior PM or move on to bigger more high profile projects.

If you want to be a career project manager I think the certification adds value and shows your commitment to the field of project management, if not I think there are other areas of study that could add more value (of course I don't know what they are)
Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas, Kellogg, Anderson, Marshall for 2010 matriculation

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: PMP Certification Useful? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 13:53
Since I'm in engineering I'm planning on getting this to help my case in showing that I have what it takes in terms of project management to transition to a business role. If your company is going to pay for it why not.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

Re: PMP Certification Useful? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 14:34
Well if you are going to get your PMP then you are already a PM or have 3+ years of documented experience in leading project tasks.

From PMI handbook.

Minimum three years/36 months unique
non-overlapping professional project
management experience during which at
least 4,500 hours were spent leading and
directing project tasks*

35 contact hours of formal
education

Here are the requirements from a basic google search.

A bachelor's degree and 4,500 hours of PM experience in the five process groups, OR, a secondary school diploma and 7,500 hours of PM experience in the five process groups.

35 contact hours of classroom instruction that relate to project management objectives. Several types of courses fulfill this requirement.

Supporting Documentation is required for the above qualifications.

Pass the PMP exam, which consists of 200 multiple-choice questions to be completed in 4 hours.
Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 16

Re: PMP Certification Useful? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 16:30
olive wrote:
People look for it in consulting, and the government has been including the PMP as a qualification on many of their major RFPs.

I personally am not a fan of the PMP certification. Probably because most people I know who have PMPs don't practice good project management so it makes me think twice about the purpose of the certification. I haven't gotten it because I'm not convinced it really means anything. If I wasn't getting an MBA I would have gotten one.

Amen to that. I noticed that a guy that I work with just added PMP to his e-mail signature. I always wondered 1) how this guy got his job and 2) how he manages to keep it. And as far as PM skills go, well I won't even start. The people I know that have it have soured me on it.

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director

Re: PMP Certification Useful? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 16:42
I agree that those who seem to have it suck as managers. I

CAT Tests
Re: PMP Certification Useful? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 16:47
highhopes wrote:
olive wrote:

Amen to that. I noticed that a guy that I work with just added PMP to his e-mail signature. I always wondered 1) how this guy got his job and 2) how he manages to keep it. And as far as PM skills go, well I won't even start. The people I know that have it have soured me on it.

LOL I had this one guy try to tell me once that getting a PMP was equivalent to an MBA. I just nodded and said "yeah, maybe."
And adding PMP to signatures is tacky in my opinion, funny nonetheless.

HOWEVER, I would get a PMP if my company would pay for it and I didn't have to pay it back - why not right? It's definitely a good thing to have because it expands the number of proposals you can be bid on in the consulting world.
Director
Director

Re: PMP Certification Useful? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 16:51
I had a guy tell me once a PhD from Univ of Phoenix was great. I'm not kidding.
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 86

Reviews Badge
Re: PMP Certification Useful? [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2009, 13:50
I've heard mixed opinions about the PMP cert. I'd consider getting one someday, but I'm not sure if I need it. Project management varies significantly between industries, so I'd imagine that the value is different for everyone. I'd be interested in seeing a typical day for a project/program manager in another industry. In Aerospace, we generally manage fewer programs for longer periods of time.

For now, I just read books that sound interesting. If only there was a book that could explain why MS Project is so unreliable.

I've read countless reviews for the PMBOK where people state that the text is simply unpractical and useless. Nevertheless, that's the material that you will be tested on in the PMP exam.

Here's a review from Amazon:
Let me start by saying that I did study the book along with other study materials, took the PMP exam and passed. Having some organized body to professionally certify project managers is a good idea. However, this book flat out stinks. It's incredibly wordy and makes simply concepts way too complex. That seems to be a major flaw with the entire PMI model. They are trying to make project management a science. It's not.

That being said, the certification process is worth your time. I did learn a lot. Just don't become a "PMI Junkie". Let me explain. Many of the things PMI teaches are a bit silly and don't really apply to real life situations. There are some out there that just take what PMI says as the complete truth without questioning anything or seeing how the teachings relate to the workplace. These are people I call "PMI Junkies".

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

Re: PMP Certification Useful? [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2009, 17:19
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:
I had a guy tell me once a PhD from Univ of Phoenix was great. I'm not kidding.

I work for a blue-chip company and have people from MIT, Stanford, Georgia tech and Univ of Phoenix too :) It must have worked out for that guy!

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: PMP Certification Useful? [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 01:22
PMP is definitely the training to take for project management, no doubt!
Intern
Intern

Re: PMP Certification Useful? [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 01:23
My friend talks about this all the time, does anyone know APMP
Intern
Intern

Re: PMP Certification Useful? [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 01:24
I wonder who would win a tussle between APMP and PMI
Intern
Intern

Re: PMP Certification Useful? [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 01:24
Is anyone here even know about project management structures and methodologies?
Intern
Intern

Re: PMP Certification Useful? [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 01:26
How do the blue chip people at MIT view this, Lionidas?
Re: PMP Certification Useful?   [#permalink] 02 Dec 2010, 01:26