Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 21:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Poor Grad Grades

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Poor Grad Grades [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 16:50
Good Evening,

If I apply to top MBA programs with a 4.1 GPA from undergrad (supply chain / accounting major), 3 years of work experience (which began after a semester of law school where I realized it was not for me and I wanted to pursue my business goals that the semester at law school allowed me to reaffirm - reason for leaving), can a poor GPA in that one semester of law school harm or bar me from admission (if I performed poorly because I decided I was not continuing law school well before finals and started applying for jobs and going on interviews before finals - but still had to take them - reason for poor grades after a mere one semester where withdrawal was not possible when I made my decision)? Are the main factors that will contribute to my decision UNDERGRAD GPA, gmat, and work experience? I hope that given my reasoning for leaving law school and for the poor grades and given that law school is graded on a strict curve that that the mere 5 classes are completely unrelated to business in terms of content and the way they are taught, that this won't count against me.

Thanks for opinions/advice.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.91
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 10

Re: Poor Grad Grades [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 18:14
I'd guess it would reflect poorly, but I don't think the grades themself will be your biggest obstacle. Leaving after a semester implies you are unsure of your goals, and your motivation for an mba will be questioned. That should be your bigger focus. Assuming you can reasonably articulate the reason you want the mba and decided law isn't for you, I wouldn't be concerned with the grades.

If you are a 1l, I'd recommend applying to the 4 year jd/mba program rather than dropping out (assuming you value the dual degree). That's just my opinion though - I know the 1l exam jitters and would at least recommend you think about this after exams are over.

Good luck.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 30

Re: Poor Grad Grades [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 01:04
Expert's post
Well, the schools will of course look at everything you have in your profile, but in general other things (esp your work experience, GMAT and Undergrad) will likely carry more weight. So you may want to explain this away in an optional essay or such to do some "damage control" and explain your story.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: Poor Grad Grades   [#permalink] 04 Dec 2012, 01:04