Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 03:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Potential Application

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Potential Application [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 17:59
Hey Everyone I am not applying to B school for probably 3 years, but I wanted an honest assessment of my profile so I can take the right steps for the future.

Undergrad: 3.42 from a top 20 public double major in business class of 2010. Was VP of 2 business clubs, active in my fraternity, ran a student business for 1 year and had a research grant my senior year

WE: I started in September for a top tier strategy boutique, not m/b/b but think monitor / Parthenon / LEK

EC: I volunteer with some non profit initiatives as well as does non profit volunteer consulting assignments, I’m also on the firm social and community service committees

GMAT: I have not taken; well I took it when I graduated, but largely a foolish bust. I assume 730, I mean honestly all I really need to do is learn SC (I did better on the math part Q49, V32 660) (I also am a white male so understanding the English language should be relatively easy)

Goals post MBA: basically I think I want to do life science corporate strategy, my mom works for a fortune 100 pharma, I grew up on the stuff, my research grant was tied into life science my consulting firm does a lot of sci work etc.

Essays: I will probably just hire someone

Other: I have the option of transferring to a foreign office at least temporarily so how will that help me? Also, my firm places pretty well to the top schools, like 20% go to HBS, 30% go to Kellogg a good bit at Wharton and u Chicago, but the problem is most of my colleagues are 3.6 -3.8 from like Notre dame or Harvard and well I was 3.4 from a lower part of the top 20 state schools so will

So my goal is to get to the best b school I can aka Harvard Wharton or well Kellogg so I want to be as competitive as I can so what should I do to prepare, what are my odds at these schools, will my lack of top tier school status hold me back?

Thanks!!!

Run
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Potential Application [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 08:44
bump por favorrr
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Potential Application [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2011, 09:22
Expert's post
Hi run4run,

Thanks for posting. Regarding your concern for your undergraduate university, one's undergraduate institution tends to weigh less in an admissions final decision than most people think. However, as your GPA was also lower than your colleagues, you should look for ways to differentiate your application. Begin considering who you would like to write a recommendation on your behalf, and consider your strengths and the message you would like to present to an admissions team. Additionally, one way you can look to strengthen your application is to look for opportunities outside of the workplace (nonprofits, etc.) where you can demonstrate leadership skills. It seems like you have already done this in the past, but you could look to get even more involved.

I hope this was of help. Please let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Best,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Re: Potential Application   [#permalink] 14 Feb 2011, 09:22