Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 10:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pre-Plan for MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Pre-Plan for MBA [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2005, 20:51
I know I am very early, but I am love preparing for new paths in life. I am currently a student at the University of Delaware, and I am currently 18 yrs old. When I graduate, I will be 19 yrs old, so I am graduating college three years ahead of schedule. My GPA is floating between a 3.4-3.5. I have not taken the GMAT, but I plan to take it after serious preparation. My degree is in Economics.

Here is my current game plan:
-Take the GMAT and do very well
-Figure it is possible because I can prepare and take the GMAT during my final semester at UD.
-I have already taken the GRE (500V, 750Q) and LSAT (163) w/o any preparation. I know if I put in the effort for the GMAT, I can pull a 700+ (not cocky, but a confident statement from my prior results).

-Find a good job and work for 3/4 yrs while working my ass off to get every available promotion (even it needs 60+ hr weeks).

If I can do the above (720-750 w/ 3 or 4 yrs of solid work experience) with my 3.4-3.5 GPA, could the following schools be a possibility?

-HBS
-Wharton
-Tuck
-Sloan
-Columbia
-Stern
-Yale
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2005, 20:52
Forgot to add, White Male.

Prior Work Experience (part-time during college, probably doesn't add much)
-Substitute Teaching
-Assistant Stable Manager at a horse stable
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2005, 06:08
Good to see that you are making plans so early in life. When I was 18, I was just hanging around...

Anyway:
1. Since you intend to work 3/4 years - which means you will go for MBA in about 5 years' time - you may want to take the GMAT later. Most B-schools accept GMAT scores taken during the last 5 years. So it is better to take the GMAT about 1 or 2 years before your intended MBA journey.

2. The schools that you mentioned look beyond your academic performances. They want the X, Y, and Z factors. Since you are still young, you are in a good position to build up your life-story.

One thing that seems missing is your social and community involvements. You may want to spend some time to build up that area. However, I feel that community involvements must be from the heart, and not because of your B-sch application.

3. Based on your list of schools, it appears to me that you are going for the brand. Have you seriously thought about what you want to achieve or which area to focus - management, finance, or ____ ? No offence, but I think you are too young to think about B-sch at this stage.

- tk
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2005, 06:36
tkkoh wrote:
Good to see that you are making plans so early in life. When I was 18, I was just hanging around...

Anyway:
1. Since you intend to work 3/4 years - which means you will go for MBA in about 5 years' time - you may want to take the GMAT later. Most B-schools accept GMAT scores taken during the last 5 years. So it is better to take the GMAT about 1 or 2 years before your intended MBA journey.

2. The schools that you mentioned look beyond your academic performances. They want the X, Y, and Z factors. Since you are still young, you are in a good position to build up your life-story.

One thing that seems missing is your social and community involvements. You may want to spend some time to build up that area. However, I feel that community involvements must be from the heart, and not because of your B-sch application.

3. Based on your list of schools, it appears to me that you are going for the brand. Have you seriously thought about what you want to achieve or which area to focus - management, finance, or ____ ? No offence, but I think you are too young to think about B-sch at this stage.

- tk

Looking for Management, Finance, or possibly Entrapaneurial studies. I know HBS is god for Management. I am also looking into University of MD (Smith) b/c I am a MD resident and McCombs b/c I probably want to move to Dallas.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2005, 07:57
What kinds of community activities would be in range for these schools? I am interested in helping children and I love soccer, baseball, and basketball, would coaching youth sports be good enough?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2005, 19:11
Expert's post
Any extracurriculars are appropriate! A couple of thoughts:

* Go for QUALITY, not quantity! Schools like to see that you're passionate about something, not that you merely attended a bunch of meetings. We talk about this kind of thing in our book.

* Really try to make an impact in at least activity. I mean impact on the organization that you're a part of, and also ideally an impact on your community. You don't have to be savings kittens from trees every day, but ideally you can point to some good that you've done and convincingly tell adcomms how you made it happen.

Overall, I think your plan is good in that you're thinking about this stuff now. Just keep in mind that what you do (both on the job and outside of it) over the next 3-4 years will matter MUCH more than what you've done until now.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2005, 11:16
Well three months from now i will be giving my GMAT can any one suggest me what to study other than kaplan
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2005, 18:39
Expert's post
Have you bought the Offical Guide for GMAT Review? That's put out by the people who run the GMAT. Highly recommended.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews