Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 03:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Preliminary Peer review

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Preliminary Peer review [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 09:49
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi folks,

I wanted to get an initial review of my overall application and get a realistic view of how attractive I will be to the adcoms at MIT. My score right now on the GMAT practice tests is around 690-710 and I have one month more to prepare. So assuming I score around a 720 what will my chances be to make it into a top 10 program.

School stuff
  • Graduated in 2008 from ASU with a computer engg. degree with a GPA of 3.8, youngest in my class.
  • Chosen as an Undergrad researcher only 20 out 300 students, worked on a digital agent that was showcased on discovery channel
  • Member of Tau beta pi
  • Dean's list

Work Background - 4 yrs work ex at an insurance company working on IT side of things.
  • Improved some set of processes and automated some boring things
  • Lead some efforts on a variety of projects
  • Mentored interns
  • Trained non-tech work folks so that they can be proficient in learning a programming language
  • Piloted new Msft tools that havent been introduced in the company yet. My team will be piloting it.
  • Submitted an idea for a Mobile app via a company wide competition, only 4 teams chosen. Pitched my idea to business leaders, did market research, CBA, blah blah. Idea in the process of being implemented.

Outside work
  • Volunteering at Goodwill and some donations.
  • Managing my portfolio on Scottrade. Made some good bets with double digit returns.
  • Pitched the idea of a restaurant to my Undergrad Entrepreneurship professor (now director of Entrepreneurship). Currently in the process of pitching the idea to a local business leader who owns a string of restaurants.

Setbacks and Personal failures
I think this is what sets me apart from the rest. I consider myself driven by a strong sense of purpose. I have had a string of failures which led to a complete mindset change (Carol dweck termed it as going from a fixed mindset to a learning mindset). The most notable failure was making it to the fourth round of interviews for one of the toughest tech companies in the world, which was also my dream job, which led me to question my goals and strengthen my resolve to pursue my MBA. Additionally, I want to be my own man and work for myself and I have a couple of ideas that I have pitched to peers and family that seem to hold potential. My goal out of my MBA is to learn the skills necessary to test the viability of an idea and execute it. I am also looking for a team of people who are as driven as I am and are willing to work with me. Obviously, I still have to develop a lot of leadership and entrepreneurial skills which is why I am aiming for the top schools.

App essays and reccos
I have an outline for what I am going to write here and I have jotted down a couple of ideas in my Evernote diary. Furthermore, my manager and my peers have rated me as one with the most potential and this is going to be the crux of their reccos and my app essays.

Whew! That got a bit longer than anticipated. Anywho, I know I am asking folks to rate me before I have given my GMAT but what I need from you is whether I have a chance to get in to a top 10 if i nail down an average GMAT score between 710-720 or do I need to develop myself more and thus postpone my application till next year. If i apply this year I will be 25 at matriculation.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 30

Re: Preliminary Peer review [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 10:05
I think that you have a great profile. Your grades are great and you will hopefully be able to get a solid GMAT score. Your work experience is also impressive. Also, the extra curricular work and volunteering are a plus. This should hopefully make you competitive at a top 10 school. Remember that the essays and the recommendation letters are also an important piece.

Best of luck

Give Kudos if my post was helpful!

BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 101

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Preliminary Peer review [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 11:05
I would be interested to see how you get on as my work ex is in insurance also (on the underwriting side). So far I have not seen many candidates with experience in insurance so unsure how it matches up against guys from management consultancies or banks.

*Updated 25th July*: Embracing the downtime
Blog: http://domotron.wordpress.com

Elements of an MBA application series
GMAT (28/02) | Profile (11/03) | Networking / Research (01/04) | Recommendations (30/05) | Essays / Online applications | Interview

My 710 (Q50, V36) Debrief + 740 (Q48, V44) Update:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/710-q50-v36-phew-i-m-done-with-the-gmat-probably-150067.html

Please share your profiles for this application season below:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/2014-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-162160.html

Re: Preliminary Peer review   [#permalink] 30 Oct 2012, 11:05