Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 03:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Prep Material Advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Prep Material Advice [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 16:29
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I'm an analyst in investment banking. I've been thinking about going back to school in the next year or two, so I need some suggestion on what prep material I should use for the GMAT test.

English is not my native language, but I'm pretty good at math. I bought the OG 11th, and Manhattan SC. Please advice on what else I should use if I'm aiming to get a score above 720. Thank you very much.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 3

Re: Prep Material Advice [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 18:00
read through some of the success stories at the top of this forum that are posted as 'stickies'. there's also a compilation of them near the top under a post by praetorian i believe.
Intern
Intern

Re: Prep Material Advice [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2008, 06:50
You also need an overall review book so you can get familiar with the test and learn some strategy. For that I would get Cracking the GMAT. It's from the Princeton Review. The tests in that book are really good too. Well, the tests are online but you need the DVD to get to the tests, so get the version with the DVD.

The OG is essential. Make sure you download the official tests too, GMATPrep. They're on www.mba.com. They're free. Gotta love that.
Intern
Intern

Re: Prep Material Advice [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2008, 10:03
Thank you guys for your advice. I've been thinking about the Kaplan book, but I've read bad reviews about it. Is there a better all-in-one review book you would recommend? I would go deeper into the individual topics after I study and learn what my weaknesses are. Thanks.
Current Student
Schools: Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 1

Re: Prep Material Advice [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2008, 11:31
if you have the OGs and MG guides, that should be enough. it's really about practice, documenting which problems you get consistently wrong, and making sure you figure out exactly why you missed them. if you do get through all the problems (which takes a while), go back and the ones you missed and see if you missed them again.

if you want to diagnose weaknesses, take a real practice exam from GMAT. that will probably give you the most accurate representation of your strengths and weaknesses.

also, here's my debrief which goes over more stuff in detail.
8-t66345

GL

http://www.erb.umich.edu/
http://www.umsocialventure.com
post558169.html#558169 - a compilation of b-school interview questions
8-66345.html - my (detailed) gmat debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: Prep Material Advice [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2008, 15:44
It depends on what level you are at now. If you're already getting 700's in the practice tests, then just review some materials. If you're scoring well below your aim, you might want to take some courses. Before I took the GMAT last year, I took a course w/Manhattan review and improved my score by about 80 pts. When do you think you'll be taking the GMAT?
Intern
Intern

Re: Prep Material Advice [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2008, 11:10
I actually have not started yet. Ordered my materials, and they'll arrive soon. I'm planning to spend 3 months to study (2 hrs or more each day), so I might take it in 02/09.

I'm not sure if I will take a class in person; I don't have the time and I don't learn well that way. But I would consider the online class.

Thanks again for the advice.
Intern
Intern

Re: Prep Material Advice [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2008, 16:02
Not to be smarmy, but if you don't learn well in class, isn't that going to make b-school a challenge?
Intern
Intern

Re: Prep Material Advice [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2008, 17:54
Well a lot of Bschool isn't sitting in class memorizing strategies to take a standardized test. I took an online class and I thought it was great. I live in the middle of nowhere so that was a lot easier for me. Ended up with a 710 and am working on the other parts of my app right now...essays :(
Intern
Intern

Re: Prep Material Advice [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 14:46
That's a good point. I should rephrase it as: going to a class in person doesn't add much value to me other than the extra material they present in class; I would learn as well on my own. So I guess I would be up for the challenge of B school... hopefully :)
Intern
Intern

Re: Prep Material Advice [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 18:04
:-D
Re: Prep Material Advice   [#permalink] 24 Oct 2008, 18:04