Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 07:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Prep strategy for second time?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Prep strategy for second time? [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2004, 06:16
I found this forum only two weeks prior to my GMAT. I didn't do too well. I would like to know how to go about the preparation the second time around. I am exhausted and don't know where to begin again.

First time I prepared for 5 whole months intensively. I am not sure what I did wrong. I would like to muster confidence from you guys to prepare for the test wisely this time around.
Previously,
I enrolled for a princeton review course (They give 5 tests)
I practiced OG [not all questions]
I took the online Kaplan diagnostic

Here's my test experience from the first time -
AWA
Started out with essays okay since I had practised for them before (just a mix of princeton and kaplan templates).
Math - 46
From the very first question, it was very computation-intensive (arithmetic) except for 1 prob and 1 combination Q. DS was hard with so much to understand and frame equations for. I think I didn't except the section to be such a time hog, although the Qs were not very hard.
Verbal - 38
SC- I found that I was not able to quickly pinpoint the errors although I normally am able to tell the correct answer- during earlier practice, by identifying errors based on the basic types. The sentences were way too long and I took me a while to understand the meaning.
CR- The args were longer than I had practiced for. On a couple of them, I found there were two really close choices - got me. Bold face I had practiced for from this site (thanks Paul), but still couldn't get those.
RC - I followed the technique (kaplan). It helped a lot. The passages were average length, except the last one was seventy plus lines long.

I would appreciate if someone can show me the light. Thanks a lot!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2004, 06:54
Hello aspirembalikeus,

I'm in the same case : I had to retake the exam after a first try quite disappointing.
But perhaps there are some differences between what we classified as "I did not do too well" : with Q at 46 and V at 38, your score was surely around an easy 680 at least...so are you sure you need to retake it? :shock:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2004, 10:20
Aspiremba:
Congrats for a good score! Although it's up to you to decide if you really want a retake, my two cents are ..dont retake it unless you are very sure of getting atleast 720-730. You have balanced score in both sections..I guess 80%ile in maths and very good 85%ile in verbal.. overall you have solid 90%ile.
It seems you have already exhausted lot of material..so you might have to really work very hard to go beyond 20-30 points. But is it worth it? I might be totally wrong and you may get a 780 next time..but what iam saying is that after already getting a decent score, a score which should be enough for most schools, your time might be better spent in working on other aspects of your application.
Good luck
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2004, 19:30
Thanks for your responses. I guess I really have to evaluate my application's strengths/weaknesses before I consider re-taking the test.
  [#permalink] 24 Aug 2004, 19:30