Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 17:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

probability and distribution help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 74993

probability and distribution help [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 19:53
explain how to do p(b|c')
i dont get it :s
given that :
P(A) = 0.70
P(B) = 0.11
P(C) = 0.30
P(AnB) = 0.05
P(AnC) = 0.21
P(BnC) = 0.06
P(AuBuC) = 0.80
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 465

Kudos [?]: 1839 [1] , given: 29

Re: probability and distribution help [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 12:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi, there. I'm happy to help with this. :)

The first thing I'll say: I have never seen a conditional probability question on the GMAT. I believe this question is a more advanced probability topic than you would see on the GMAT. It is a typical question of, for example, the AP Statistics exam.

Here's how you solve it.

First of all, we know P(C) = 0.30, so the complementary region is P(C') = 1 - P(C) = 0.70. If 30% of all members are in C, then 70% are not in C.

Next, this is a sophisticated move. If you think about the region B, it has two parts: the part the overlaps with C and the part that doesn't overlap with C. Obviously, the total region B is the sum of those two sub-regions. Thus

P(B) = P(BnC) + P(BnC') --> 0.11 = 0.06 + P(BnC') ---> P(BnC') = 0.05. If 11% of all members are in B, and 6% of all members are in both B & C, then it must be that 5% of all members are in B and not in C.

Now, the conditional probability P(B|C') (read, "the probability of B, given not C") is the ratio of all the region that comprises "B and not C" to all the region of "not C." In other words, within this situation, the condition "not C" is the "all", and we want to know what part of that "not C" universe does B occupy? The formula is:

P(B|C') = P(BnC')/P(C') = (0.05)/(0.70) = 1/14 = 0.07142857

A Google search for the term "conditional probability" will turn up curricula galore if you want more information or example problems. I will stress, though: all this advanced probability stuff is way beyond what the GMAT will demand of you.

Please let me know if you have any questions about what I've said.

Mike :)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: probability and distribution help   [#permalink] 11 Jan 2012, 12:37